Monday, October 17, 2005

The Lion, the witch and the misogynist

I've been slowly re-reading the Chronicles of Narnia lately. I restarted the beloved children's series for three reasons. The first is that I wanted to approach the series with adult, educated eyes. I wanted to take in the series with a new, mature and more academic approach. I wanted to think about the series and what it symbolically meant. Second, Disney is releasing a film adaptation of The Lion The Witch and the Wardrobe and the book nerd in me is simultaneously excited and dubious to see a childhood favorite on the big screen. Disney has hired on Weta, the team that worked so hard on the costumes, sets and special effects for the Lord of the Rings film adaptations, to work on the series. All of this mounts to an exciting release this December. And the third reason is my growing appreciation for the author Philip Pullman and his trilogy His Dark Materials.

Pullman is anything but subtle about his feelings towards C. S. Lewis and his popular childrens series. I have heard several times that Pullman wrote his series to counter the Narnia series, but reading them with Narnia in mind definitely gives corroborating evidence. And now the BBC has posted an article here with Pullman criticizing Disney for taking on the film and presenting it with any shred of Christian virture.

The article writes, "Pullman said the Narnia books contained 'a peevish blend of racist, misogynistic and reactionary prejudice' and 'not a trace' of Christian charity."

And Pullman himself had this to say, "It's not the presence of Christian doctrine I object to so much as the absence of Christian virtue."

So, here's the question. What can we get out of the Narnia series today? Believe me when I say that my love for the series goes back to before I can remember. I grew up watching the BBC's own version of the film series with it's animated monsters and stiff robotic Aslan. But reading them now I find a lot of difficult passages that run counter to my own personal values.

The sexism in the books is hard to overlook. In Wardrobe Lucy and Susan are constantly reminded of how a battlefield is no place for a girl. But the most difficult sequence for me is in Prince Caspian when Lucy is searching for Aslan.

In this story the four children return to Narnia to find that their legacy is now considered myth by many Narnians, and only few of the animals believe in them anymore. Humans are taking over the country, and the mythical creatures of the world are being pushed further away by those in power. As the children navigate their way through the land Lucy claims to see Aslan, or to know which way they should go. They continue to ignore her. When she finally gets close to Aslan, she hears a voice.

"Lucy woke out of the deepest sleep you can imagine, with the feeling that the voice she liked best in the world had been calling her name. She thought at first it was her father's voice, but that did not seem quite right. Then she thought it was Peter's voice, but that did not seem to fit either."

It was, of course, Aslan's voice, the God figure. To me this passage all to strongly places the idea of God as one that is inherently male.

I've talked about this with more people than I can count. Many of them have said the same thing to me. The general attitude of the sexism and racism throughout the series is to take the entire thing into context. Lewis was an Oxford scholar and his theology came in at a time when God was seen as generally male. All of this is true, and a perfectly reasonable argument, but there are still a number of problems with the sexism in the series that leave me unable to dismiss it as a contextual issue.

The first being that femenism was not invented in a post Lewis world. Madeline L'Engle was writing around the same time as Lewis, if not very shortly after, as was J. R. R. Tolkein, both of whom make some important decisions giving more powerful and important roles to female characters. To say that Lewis' time and environment was sexist, and therefor excuses some of his own attitudes that appear in some of his writing is a disservice to people of similar contexts that did not make the same mistake.

The second issue is how we treat the series. The Narnia series is, without a doubt, the most popular series of Christian storytelling, and has remained so for many years. With the new film series coming out, the popularity will likely grow. The series continues to be praised and lauded as an important text for Christian readership, at a time when the context demands equality. If we continue to read this story to our young, are we not perpetuating a sexism that is no longer contextually appropriate?

My opinion is biased towards Pullman's. I think he has a valid concern, and the making of the new movie resurfaces these thoughts as we present the story to the next generation. But at the same time, the religious significance and symbolism is incredibly compelling.

So what does this story tell us today? What can we get out of the series in a new and different context? And does today's context inhibit the story? Is Narnia sexist? If so, why? If not, why? Is this a story we should be reading/showing to new generations? Have you read the Pullman trilogy? Does the trilogy offer an alternative to Lewis' world? Do you find Pullman's series anti-religious? Give me your thoughts...

5 Comments:

At 11:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe the voice through which God spoke to C.S. Lewis (in the non-vocal sensory sense) registered with him as so deep -- rather like elephants -- that the closest register in humanity to compare it to is a male voice. Perhaps that has more to do with the masculinity of standard deities than an oblique sexism -- but I doubt heavily that anyone will ever go with me on that idea. (Did you ever have an idea that you could completely believe but for some reason everyone else will probably find it patently and irreparably offensive?)

Here's a question for you: The rise of warring peoples and the shift from the earth mother to the male deity are inarguably interrelated. But which caused the other? Did we start going to war because suddenly our male god was telling us to? Or did a rise in the testosterone of men give way to war, which shifted the god inside them to be more male? I'm sure your wife will probably hate me for writing all this, but there it is... I don't think being patrocentric is any more or less sexist than being matrocentric, but unfortunately I don't think a balance will ever be reached.

 
At 8:03 AM, Blogger Aaron Burkhalter said...

Jon,

I don't think you're wrong on arguing the idea that God spoke to Lewis in a male way. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet, but I don't think it's necessarily a wrong idea. I mean, in my view, God can speak to us however it best works. But I'm more inclined myself to assume that Lewis' male God is more based in tradition and context than something like what you mentioned, but that's just me, and I couldn't really argue with someone who told me that I've got an ax to grind when it comes to the Narnia series...

As for the war comments... I've heard the argument of equating men to war, and I'm pretty torn on it. There was an assumption before women had the vote that if women were allowed to vote there would be less war and violence. This of course did not come true. But giving women the vote was just one step. I think someone else could argue that since women don't have equal power in government, that we can't accurately assume that they would have equal enough influence to tip the scale and make fewer wars happen.

I think I'm not directly answering your question, mainly because I don't think I've got a proper answer to your question, so I'll have to think on it, but it's all relevant. One could argue that the Lewis books contain stories in which the male God figure is commanding the dominantly male leaders in the story to go to war. Wardrobe has that classic coming of age scene in which Peter slays the wolf and is then knighted by Aslan. It's definately a transformation moment for Peter.

But this is also a little bit of a chicken and egg question. Is war directly a male driven thing? How did the development of war as we know it become primarily male? Was it evolutionary? Does it come from hunter gather societies in which men were out doing the violent part of the work while women stayed home? Hmm... I think I might actually have something on that last bit there.

I'm starting to lose my focus here, and I need to go to class. I'm going to leave this as it is for now...

 
At 11:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, I think you may be on to something there, keep at it. Also, do you think the insistence of the earth staying still and the sun revolving around it theory may have been held to for so long because earth=woman, sun=man? Women with child can't go flitting around like bees to parts unknown without endangering their lives and their children's. Alternately, can't chivalry be traced to a very respectful desire to make life as comfortable as possible for the woman while she is put through the natural procreation process?

For now

 
At 2:39 PM, Blogger ZT Krugman said...

You dismiss Lewis' contextual defense too easily, saying feminism was "invented" before his time. This is extremely unfair to Lewis, since the society he lived in was overwhelmingly male dominated. It is impossible to say when feminism was "invented", but it can be said that feminist sentiments and ideas existed throughout history in different cultures. However, feminist movements have ebbed and flowed as far as their acceptance in society. Lewis' own change in attitude reflects that.

That's not to say that Lewis' ideas cannot be criticized, but they must be understood in the context they were written down. It is also erronious to say that since an idea was "invented" (whatever that means) gets rid of the contextual defense.

By the way, I like your blog. Lots of interesting stuff on here.

 
At 12:19 PM, Blogger Aaron Burkhalter said...

Somehow this whole message slipped past my radar ZT. But after a great deal of time I have considered what you mention: just because femenism was around during Lewis' time doesn't mean he was clued into it. But I definately take his writing with a critical eye all the same, because his context was greatly different from our current one, and we have to interpret that.

But much kudos must go to the man, and more importantly the woman that he later married for challenging his views, for changing and growing over time. His last books were amazing, and far less mysoginisticalish... (I just kept writing that word... it seemed to want to continue)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home