Tuesday, November 01, 2005

We The Media

Well, as some of you know, since you know me personally, I am studying to become a journalist. This may be news to my VAST number of fans from around the world who have never met me (editors note: we can not confirm that the author of this blog actually HAS any fans to speak of.)

Anyway, I am entering a career that may soon surpass law as the most loathed of professions, but with any luck, we may get our wits about us and gain a little respect in the world. The following book might be a player in the conversation that will lead to the reclaiming of journalisms soul:

We The Media: Grassroots Journalism By The People, For The People by Dan Gillmor. I recommend this book to you because it analyzes current technological advances and trends, such as web broadcasting, internet news, wiki's and blogs such as this one. It emphasizes the importance of technological power being put into the hands of the users. For example, the author would probably be a fan of this blog. I use Blogger to create my blog, and I have the freedom to change the actual code of the blog myself to dictate how my site functions.

I won't comment just yet on what I think of the book, but I think it's an important conversation at the very least. The best part is the author is very committed to the free aspect of this conversation. You can buy the book, as I did before I knew that you can read the book in its entirety online at this link!.

Poke around and see what you think. For all of you bloggers out there (since most of the readers I am aware of myself on this here site are all bloggers) feel a sense of pride that you're contributing to the future of journalism. And for those of you who use it just to post pictures of your cat... feel deep shame. (kidding...)

1 Comments:

At 8:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Aaron! It's Amy, Megan's old roommate. Just thought I'd say hello, I will be poking around here henceforth. Hope you are both well and happy in Eugene.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home