Monday, February 25, 2008

Why I do vote

Politico recently ran three side-by-side columns on why three journalists do or do not vote in elections, and I was a little troubled by the extremity of the first to opinions (from non-voters).

Mike Allen argues that journalists should remain politically agnostic, but I think he goes a little too far, in what I'd consider political atheism. I understand trying to remain detached, but as a country, voting is the minimal civic responsibility.

I understand limiting one self to the standard elections. I didn't vote in the primaries or participate in caucuses because those are party events. The primary in Washington state requires voters to designate a party affiliation, and myself I'd rather remain an independent. But to not even participate in a carefully anonymous event seems ridiculous to me.

The way I see it, if you're going to detach yourself even from an anonymous vote, what else will you avoid? Can you allow your children to join cub scouts? Because after all, the BSA has taken strong positions on homosexuality. If your beat covers unions, will you avoid certain grocery stores?

Journalists can easily become wrapped up in their own little media worlds, and it's pretty difficult to cover the planet when you pompously live high above it. To me, the November election is one of the few places where a reporter can actually become involved in their community.

So you don't care to declare a party? I'm there with you. You even avoid the PTA because you're a school reporter? I can see an argument there. But taking away your own right to vote, just for the sake of proving that you're unbiased, that to me seems like overkill.

Reporters already have their opinions. Voting doesn't change that. I have sources I like, I have sources I dislike. I can't change my personally feelings, but when I sit down with my copy, my dedication to readers demands that I keep my personal feelings from swaying the information I need to convey. But come that first Tuesday in November, I can guarantee I'll cast my vote. You don't have to say who you voted for, but your inaction does not change your personal and political beliefs, or the potential for bias.

2 Comments:

At 8:46 AM, Blogger Carl said...

I think you summed it up perfectly when you stated that "Reporters already have their opinions. Voting doesn't change that." The act of connecting a line, punching a hole, or tapping a radio button on a computer is not when a bias is formed. I also feel that there is a responsibility for every member of a democracy to vote. Besides, even Charlie Cook, political analyst extraordinaire, votes.

 
At 9:54 PM, Blogger Aaron Burkhalter said...

Yeah, I think I got a little long winded when that one sentence was really all I wanted to say.

Reporters spend too much time researching the issues, reporting on the candidates and following the race to a) not have an opinion and b) not exercise that opinion with the bare minimum of an anonymous vote.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home