Thursday, September 18, 2008

It'll be like a truck rally, only tastier...


I realized that I've been using the same two pumpkin pie recipes for the last ten years, and it's time to explore the vast world that is pumpkin pie. And since Alton Brown has yet to tackle my favorite autumnal treat, it's up to me to collect the recipes and try them out in what I've decided to call:

AARON'S FIRST EVER 2008 PUMPKIN PIE EXTRAVAGANZA DEATH MATCH SHOWDOWN!!!!!!

It'll be a thrill ride of TASTINESS!

The rules are simple! I'll use my basic crust recipe, and try out a handful of recipes I find online and in cookbooks. I'll only use delicious home-grown pumpkins acquired (read: stolen in the still of the night while the guard dogs are sleeping) from my father-in-law. I make it, I eat it and feed it to unsuspecting culinary guinea pigs (I LOVES you Megan!) and determine which recipe (or recipes) are the best. The best one or two will be featured at whatever Thanksgiving event I attend.

Just a quick look online, I've collected a handful of recipes, many of which from Food Network, but one from America's Test Kitchen "Best Pumpkin Pie." I also nabbed the recipe for a 1st place pumpkin pie from a Food Network competition. I'll be looking at the library for more.

I'll post pictures and results here. It'll be like a truck rally, only tastier.

3 Comments:

At 9:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If Megan gets tired of guinea pigging, let me know! :)

 
At 11:25 AM, Blogger Cat Jackson said...

I've been slacking on my blog reading, so I just saw this now. Awesome idea! I wish I was motivated to bake that much. Or maybe I don't. Either way, it sounds like a deliciously fun time.

This isn't really your standard pumpkin pie, but Brett's sister sent me this recipe recently, and I think either she or I will make it for T'giving this year:

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2007/11/double-layer-pumpkin-cheesecake.html

I'm excited. :)

 
At 11:25 PM, Blogger Aaron Burkhalter said...

Jon - Most definitely... though I think you should ask Megan how likely it is that she'll get sick of pumpkin pie. This year will be the ultimate test, but I don't believe it's possible.

Cat - I've never made pumpkin cheesecake before, probably because I've never actually made cheesecake before. I'm kinda lame that way.

But i'll have to try it out. As for your baking, you could wait until I complete the showdown, and bake whatever is determined the victor!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home