Sunday, August 03, 2008

The Quilt, Part 6


There it is in all its pieced-together glory. Each square is sewed, and now I just have to put the whole thing together, which has me the most nervous of all. There's a few pieces that are going to cut it close on their seam allowances due to this, that or the other complication.

I'm paranoid that things won't line up quite right. But I'm mapping out how to piece everything together without having to do long stretches of seams. For some reason breaking the task down into shorter seams makes it all seam less daunting.

Once I've done that (probably won't get to it until Wednesday at the earliest) I'll start getting demin together and designing the back portion of the quilt, which will be amazingly easy by comparison, since it'll be a collection of identically sized squares.

Next I need to select the batting to lay between the top t-shirt part and the bottom quilt part. I'm going to select something fairly thin, because I really want it to feel like t-shirts and jeans, so I can't have too much fluff.

Off to bed!

3 Comments:

At 12:27 PM, Blogger Cat Jackson said...

I didn't know the back of your quilt was going to be denim! I'm not good at paying attention. But that's so cool! T-shirts and jeans! Very cool. I like it.

I had a totally bizarre skit play out in my head though, after reading the bit t the end where you say you don't want too much fluff, so that it feels like t-shirts and jeans:

Sometimes homeless people sleep under clothes, if they don't have a blanket. So you could be all like, "Here, homeless person! I made you a blanket!" And the homeless person would be all like, "Um...thanks."

But inside they're thinking "This feels the same as before."

Not that you should ever give away your v cool quilt, though. Even (or especially) to a homeless person.

 
At 10:29 AM, Blogger Aaron Burkhalter said...

Yeah, if I'm giving away blankets, it's not going to be to some BUM! Erm... now I feel like a jerk.

I was going to piece together squares of denim, but instead I went and bought a HUGE sheet of denim (with a 40 percent off any item coupon!!!) from Jo Ann's...

I'm quilting it this weekend.

As a complete aside, I've run out of lame excuses for why I keep showing up at Jo Ann's Fabrics. They're not believing the "Um... I'm here to get something, um, for my wife... yeah... and, um... I like Budweiser."

 
At 12:33 PM, Blogger Cat Jackson said...

I just meant that like, a homeless person may not appreciate the magnitude of awesomeness that THE quilt has. And no offense to the homeless people I've known and loved, but they'd probably just lose it or sell it eventually anyway.

Also, I think it's rad that you like Jo-Ann's. I wish Brett liked it more, but I don't think he minds it much. Real men dig arts & crafts.

Budweiser is gross.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home