Tuesday, October 07, 2008

The Quilt, Part 8

So a major part of creating a quilt is, ahem, well, quilting. So now that the whole thing is pieced together I'm embarking on the arduous task of sewing some kind of pattern through the whole thing.

The backing I chose is a thick denim. There was a much thinner denim I preferred, but it was too small of a piece to fit my quilt, so thick it is. Already it's a warm quilt that sits nice and heavy on me. Even unfinished Megan and I have thrown it over our laps watching TV.

I opted to just stitch a quarter inch in on all of the squares. I've selected a color of thread to go with each color of fabric.

This process is of the most frustrating steps. It's not as difficult as cutting the segments and praying that you don't run out of one bit of t-shirt fabric that's pretty much irreplaceable. In this case a wrong stitch can be torn out and re-sewn. But that takes time.

To preserve my sanity, I've decided to simply quilt the whole thing, and tear out anything that needs a redo later.

There's really only one major step left, which is selecting the binding and sewing it down. Really, this is my favorite step. It's when I get to sit down, watch a movie and just sew one side of it down by hand. Takes little time, and it's immensely satisfying seeing the completed work.

2 Comments:

At 1:01 AM, Blogger Kelly Jabbusch said...

It's all coming together quite nicely. I'm amazed at your ability to keep working on it. I'm famous for starting projects with enthusiasm, but always underestimating the time it will take. Packing stuff up in Seattle, I found a cross-stitch piece that I started when I was five for my new baby sister Lisa. Needless to say, it wasn't finished for her birth, or her fifth birthday, and to this day is still incomplete (I seem to recall running out of the correct pink thread and not being able to find the color again, but this could all be my imagination).

 
At 7:09 AM, Blogger Rebecca said...

I love the Yo La Tengo bit! I can't wait to see pictures of the finished product. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home