Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Geek Squared

So previously I mentioned I was reading an interesting book called "We The Media" by Dan Gillmor. I recommended my faithful readers check it out, and linked to a free online copy of the book. Now that I'm done with it I want to summarize a few things and point out a few problems.

Gillmor argues that a new journalism is emerging in which the line between the professional journalist and the consumer are blurring. With the use of blogs, such as this one, Wikis, like Wikipedia, and other technology citizens can contribute to the conversation. It allows us to not only report, but comment. Journalists can take advanage of this by using citizen journalists and blogs to inform their research. For example, if I was doing a story on a particular subject I could seek out blogs written by people who are particularly interested in the subject. Gillmor does is work with the assumption that the reader knows more than he does, and he relies on the reader to inform him. Ultimately Gillmor feels that this technology will open up the doors to grassroots journalism, and give a voice to the fringe groups.

As for the problems with the book, you might have caught them in the last sentence. Gillmor is focused heavily on grassroots journalism, but I question how grassroots it can be when it requires technology that is only available to a certain economic class. I also question how fringed the group of emerging citizen journalists really are if they're in that economic bracket that can own these devices. Gillmor believes that the internet has broken down geographic barriers, but I would say that it did not break down economic barriers, and in fact may be reinforcing them. Gillmor, in his upcoming introduction for the paperback edition, talks about iPod's being the new way of deseminating information. An iPod, last I checked, costs between $200 and $300. I hardly see the grassroots really catching on here. Gillmor is optimistic that as the prices of digital devices drops over time, that more people will have access. I have two problems with that idea in and of itself: First, the dropping prices may be indicitive of outsourcing and globalization, which I wish Gillmor would at least address, but he doesn't. The second, as the prices of the current technologies drop, new technologies will take their place, and become more efficient. The question then is, will the new technologies be compatable with the old? Will it create just another version of the same economic divide?

That said, the book makes some important points. Technology is being used by a vocal group of people with good effect. Although Howard Dean did not win the election, without the help of online blogs and fundraising (in very small incriments) he would not have made it as far as he did in the election. I say this not as a direct promotion for Dean, but as an example of how the Internet and modern technology really made a difference. I myself am allowed to spew text at you complaining about Mike Love, and if that isn't one giant leap for mankind, by god I don't know what is.

So it's on to the next book about journalism: From Yahweh To Yahoo: The Religious Roots of the Secular Press. I warn you now: get shelter people! Yours truely is diving into a book about religion and the press. He's gonna go geek squared. The only way this could get worse was if the subtitle was The Religious Roots of the Secular Press As Seen Through Press Coverage of the Beach Boys 1965-1971. If that book is ever released, I beg you to leave the country for your own good. It will unleash a world of agony for all who surround me.

1 Comments:

At 11:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey aaron!
found you. . . I'm still down to do the website/help out in some capacity.

i'm looking forward to seeing you again come december. I saw your brother at Iggy Pop, that was rad.

rock and roll.
graham

 

Post a Comment

<< Home