Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Watch out Deutschland! We're on our way!

So it came a little sooner than we planned, but we're heading off to Cologne in less than three weeks. And just to make you INSANELY jealous, here's a picture of our accommodations for a two-night trek down to Bacharach.


That's a castle that's been converted into a hostel, and we'll be sleeping inside it.

But for the most of our stay we'll be staying at a joint run by some lovely ex-pats in the tourist haven that is Cologn (Köln to the locals). We're looking forward to touring the town via our personal guides, including a trip to a chocolate museum and The Dom, which boasts a new window designed by Gerhard Richter. It's been somewhat controversial given its minimalism and non-traditional approach, but I really like it, and it seems to represent the era in which it was designed and constructed better than a more traditional look. Peep it:


So basically it's randomized square pieces of colored glass, making the whole thing look like a mass of pixels. Eat that modern look, National Cathedral!

To our family preparing to introduce us to their new European home, our perspective has been shaped entirely by stereotypes from Kraftwerk and Sprockets and we'll expect no less... you'd better have black turtlenecks when we get there.

6 Comments:

At 12:34 AM, Blogger Cat Jackson said...

YOU JERKS!!! I'm so jealous I could scream. I had no idea you were going to Germany. You probably told me, but I don't listen. I DON'T LISTEN!!!

You'll be like, two hours from the city of my birth. And also pretty close to France. But maybe not close enough for a day trip...I don't know. But if you go to Frankfurt, take lots of pictures, because I'll be one vacation slideshow victim who will love to see them!!! :)

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger Aaron Burkhalter said...

Oh no did we never share?

We originally planned to go in August, but Megan found cheap tickets during spring break, so that's when we're going.

We'll be taking pictures, but I don't know if we're going to be in Frankfurt. I think that'll be up to Chris and Kelly... If they take us there, we won't argue...

 
At 6:22 AM, Blogger Chris Burkhalter said...

I haven't been to Frankfurt yet, myself. It's actually not too terribly far away, so its a possibility. A very modern city, architecture-wise, as I understand it.

By contrast, Kelly and I are heading this weekend to the Roman ruins in Trier...

PS, my "Word Verification" today is "notpkmkp". I propose that we agree that this means, "Not Preacher's Kid Michael K. Parker," which might be useful as a means of distinguishing Mike Jr. from Mike Sr. Y'know, if that comes up...

 
At 12:05 PM, Blogger graham said...

are you, by chance rolling through the UK at all? If so, I can take trains places.

 
At 2:31 PM, Blogger Aaron Burkhalter said...

Sadly there won't be any jaunting to the UK. Money constraints encouraged our trip to move to the spring, and cut any other European travels (I wanted to visit London) out completely.

So unless you plan on trekking up The Rhine next month, we'll have to wait for another trip. But have a pint of bitter for me next time you're out!

 
At 8:53 AM, Blogger Carl said...

Though I'm a bit jealous, I'll be trudging off to Hawaii in 2 weeks, so I really have nothing to complain about. We're hoping that we'll be making a European journey next summer, though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home