Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Track Review: Johnny Boy

Introducing the new Discord/Harmony feature! In track reviews I'll provide you gentle readers with an mp3 plus a short comment on what really thrills me about this particular track. Today's track has been around for well over a year, but I bring it up now as a public complaint that the band hasn't actually put out a full album yet. I searched around wondering if they had actually put out an album yet, and since they haven't maybe this will rekindle some interest in the world. Give it a listen!

Johnny Boy - You Are The Generation Who Bought More Shoes and You Get What You Deserve (newly updated link!)

Johnny Boy is a UK group with only three songs to their name. Their lead single "You Are The Generation..." starts off with a lift (sample? loop? or did they do it on their own?) from "Be My Baby." Their sound is essentially an updated version of the Phil Spector wall of sound methods. There's a lot here to complain about honestly. Ripping off one of the most well known beats in the history of pop music, becoming yet another off shoot of the Spector orchestra pop group... but who am I kidding? I live for this stuff. Anyone trying to jump on the Spector-bandwagon will receive nothing but a helping hand from this blogger.

The loop is brilliant, and Johnny Boy is smart enough to use it only as a loop, and not the songs cornerstone as it was originally in "Be My Baby." Instead Johnny Boy gets your heart racing with a rush of "Yeah Yeah!" in the middle of the track to keep you going. The track builds and build... this is a rocking out song. This is a song that will get thrown onto my rotation at any party.

The lyrics, especially the chorus "You are the generation who bought more shoes, and you get what you deserve," is so outlandish and odd that it avoids pretention entirely.

They may not ever get us an LP, but I won't complain much with this track.

3 Comments:

At 7:14 PM, Blogger Courtney said...

http://www.chattablogs.com/quintus/archives/019666.html

Sufjan sings Christmas! Three downloadable albums! Whee!

 
At 10:02 PM, Blogger Aaron Burkhalter said...

Just in time!!!!!!!

I've been enjoying the Sufjan Stevens music all day.

Thanks!

Aaron

 
At 6:55 AM, Blogger Courtney said...

If you told me a week ago I'd be rocking out (figuratively?) to 'O Come O Come Emanuel,' I would have given you quite the look, but it is so durn pretty.

Actually, I have a weird craving to hear that song done by a male chorus or something. I don't know why, but I have some serious nostalgia going for it.

Elf Dance is a fun song too... and probably the only one to ever reference K-Mart and Jesus and Mary.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home