Tuesday, November 29, 2005

The small earthquake you just felt...

...was the rumble of my brain wanting to explode.

For educational purposes only I watched Barbara Walters' 10 Most Fascinating People of 2005. I'm watching this to compare the journalistic style of Barbara Walters to Edward R. Murrow. Now it might sound like this is an unfair battle, and that I'm intentionally setting Walters up to fail (not that she's putting up much resistance) but I've got two reasons for this. 1) I'm writing my paper now and that's the show that was on, and more importantly 2) Walter's uses a style of journalism that Murrow pioneered with his show Person to Person.

As expected, Walters mainly covered movie stars and other celebrities. One politician made it on the list, Condoleeza Rice, and one other figure of international importance, Camilla Parker Bowles. I want to note that Walters did not interview either of these people, but merely showed footage and photos (I'm especially fond of the fast paced switch back camera style they use on old still photos to make them look cool). I'm not going to knock her terribly hard for this, because both are about as high up in political fame as you can get right now, but it meant that she only really interviewed movie stars like Tom Cruise, which kind of defeats the purpose of a Walters special. Don't we watch to see her ask emberassingly stupid questions of celebrities?

This isn't SO bad I guess. I'm not surprised by anything, but I remain continually dissappointed with the state of television journalism, especially while I'm thinking about its bold beginnings with Ed Murrow at the helm.

But then Walters had to drop the cherry on top that would leave me wanting to run my head through a wall. Walters announced news special coming up Heaven: Where Is It? How Do We Get There?. She ended with the comment "I hope that by the end of the show you will have some answers to those questions."

(this is the point in which my mouth hung open, and I contemplated allowing my head to explode)

Of COURSE! What was I thinking? We've been going about this all wrong! What we REALLY need to answer the deep questions in life is the hard hitting investigative reporting we've come to expect from ABC, some muckracking research from Barbara Walters. I know I'll be watching, and taking notes on how I can get to heaven.

It is possible that the report will be far more interesting than that, and I truly hope that the title is misrepresenting the work, but I have this fear of a sit down tet-a-tet between Barbara Walters and Pope Benedict where Walters asks "Pope Benedict, may I call you Ben? The people want to know, just how does one get to heaven?" (if the forces to be have any sense of humor at all, he'll respond "Hell, I'm the pope! Don't I just get a free pass?")

Let me remind you, if you had forgotten, Walters' amazing interview several years back with fascinating person Will Smith. She asks what "getting jiggy with it" means. Smith, amused, tries to explain to Walters the concept the way a 14-year-old would explain to their bewildered parent who asks "Just what is it with you crazy kids these days?"

Walters, in her hard hitting journalistic way, asks, "Will Smith... Am I... getting jiggy with it?" (you've got to add the dramatic Walters pauses).

Forgive me, if you will, for doubting Walters' ability to present an intelligent and compelling look at the afterlife. Perhaps I'm already too cynical and set in my ways when thinking about the afterlife, but I'll be watching the special for amusement purposes only, because I'm betting it'll be a laugh.

In the meantime, I'd like to recommend that my gentle readers hop on down to their local theatre and check out George Clooney's Good Luck, and Good Night if it's still around. It's worth every penny, and seeing the old footage, and hearing the broadcasts alone brings chills down your spine. I'm a bit of a Murrow fanatic, so I'm quite biased, but his writing is truly inspirational. With just the use of words he really sets a scene and brings you into the action. His descriptions of London during WWII and the description of Buchenwald are chilling, and some of the best writing you'll see. He's a master of showing and not telling.

6 Comments:

At 8:57 PM, Blogger Courtney said...

Are you listening to Iron & Wine and Calexico on NPR (online)? Cuz they be going now, at least now, which is roughly 9pm in Oregon-land.

I wonder how Babs can stand to say something like that, or if she's just been on autopilot for the last decade and saying such ridiculous things don't even register on her clearly malfunctioning WTF?-Meter.

Your radio show sounds quite cool, I wish I was not going to be at work at the time... I think. Time differences make my brain hurt.

Is 'Mr. McKinney,' your brother or otherwise related to you? just curious, as that is the vibe I might have been picking up on.

 
At 9:45 PM, Blogger Aaron Burkhalter said...

Courtney,

At the moment I'm trying to work hard at getting my last two papers done for school. Tomorrow, handing in my final work will be ever so glorious. For right now I need to be listening to recorded notes on an interview so I can write an article. I have hope that the live broadcast will continue to be available afterwards, which they often are. For right now, I must try to remove all distractions. Which of COURSE explains what I'm doing checking all my blogs.

Barbara Walters I think is brain dead, due to some tragic accident on the field (it probably involved tacos, but I can't at the moment divulge why I theorize this), and she has been replaced with a robot, hence the pause-ridden speech. ABC as we all know does not install WTF? meters into their equipment, thus Robo-Walters does not have one either. Too bad for them that audience members are all to often equipped with WTF?-meters. Mine will be highly tuned for the "Heaven" special.

Mr. McKinney is a fine and dignified journalist that receives nothing but my praise and admiration (site found here). Wheras my brother is an insufferable buffoon, which as we all know is a direct discendant of babboons. So the question is then, is Mr. McKinney a babboon, and hence, is he my brother? Well this gets filed under a the Evolution Vs. Intelligent Design debate, and those debates give me tummy rumblings, so I try not to think on it too much.

Aaron

P.S. This post is an indication that it's time for me to a) get back to work and b) stop drinking caffeinated beverages.

 
At 10:30 PM, Blogger Courtney said...

You remind me of being in college. I wonder, why don't I feel envy?

Well, I miss the being in classes and atmosphere, but not the frantic lead-up to finals and the mountain of study and paper-completion it mandates.

Good luck with the work, muffin!

 
At 11:13 PM, Blogger Aaron Burkhalter said...

I consulted my favorite psych professor before I applied for the University of Oregon. I e-mailed her to set up a meeting, and explain what I was considering. She wrote back: "Grad school is hell. But if you love what you're doing it's worth it."

It scared me at first. But then I discovered that she is absolutely right. I have major ups and downs, but I think that's the result of doing what you love. When a down comes along, it's hard because you're supposed to love every moment, right? But of course it doesn't work that way.

What I'm trying to say is, yeah the work is hard, and it gets piled on, but in the last month I have written some articles that I'm really proud of, and I've been able to interview two musicians whom I respect very much, I've learned how to run a soundboard, and I've put my name out in the world. For the schoolwork, I've read books and held conversations that will forever change what I do with my life.

it's intense, and hard, but worth it. That said, the crunch sucks. i'm ready to be done. I've got a list of things I want to do right now that I haven't had time to do. There's give and take.

Aaron

 
At 12:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I doubt that Pope Benny Ex Vee Eye shares our sense of humor, but it was a good laugh. :)

 
At 7:09 AM, Blogger Courtney said...

I am plenty busy with my job, but I find that main function of that is to prevent me from making decisions. Or giving me an alibi not to make those decisions...

Japan is so the safe option right now -- I'm afraid of going back because I don't know what to do when I will go back.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home