Thursday, December 08, 2005

KWVA Playlist for Thursday, Dec 8, 2005

Ug. It's not all glamour at the radio station. Despite popular belief we don't relax in a Lay-Z-Boy, sipping virgin margaritas while our iPods do all the dirty work. We dig through music, try to pick out the good stuff and crank it on through, and sometimes it just falls flat. It's not that the music was all bad, it just never clicked. Combined with it being 4 a.m. and my wanting to be asleep, I think my heart wasn't in it.

Many thanks to Jack McKinney for his special request. That Andrew Bird guy seems to have potential. I might just check him out!

Colossus – You A Grown Man Now
Okkervil River – Another Radio Song
Hot Chip – Crap Kraft Dinner
MF Doom – Potholderz
Ennio Morricone – Giorno D Notte
Silver Jews – There Is A Place
Induce – Coltrane’s Brain (The Rebirth)
Blackalicious – Just What Can Happen
RJD2 – Someone’s Second Kiss
The Maroons – Ambush
Caribou – Handelschnapp
Deerhoof – Twin Killers
Her Space Holiday – The Weight of the World
The Invisible Cities – Birthday
Tangiers – A Hundred Million Feathers Weight
Metric – The Police and the Prince
Explosions in the Sky – Look Into the Air
Andrew Bird – Tables and Chairs (special request by Jack McKinney)
Tar Water – Across the Dial
Dar Williams – You Won’t See Me
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah – The Skin of My Yellow Country Teeth
Tokyo Rose – New American Saint
The Futureheads – Hounds of Love
The Flaming Lips – Waiting for Superman
Animal Collective - Grass

*A change today. I've decided not to list the background music between the sets. Chances are it's either MF Doom or Madlib. Drop a note here and I'll let you know what it was.

The Highlights: Today's highlights are not new to my set, but that's ok. I can't expect to find something amazing everytime I'm at the station. Induce graced my CD player with great frequency this week. It's really very nice, in a DJ Shadow kind of way. It's not earth-shatteringly new, but it's really pretty. Clap Your Hands Say Yeah grows on me everytime I listen to them. Animal Collective also continues to climb my respect-o-meter every listen. Colossus frequents my playlist now, and hasn't received it's proper recognition. They're really nice organic hip-hop. Great stuff!

The Duds: Well, sad to say, we weren't lacking in duds this morning. Most of merely lacked my enthusiasm. They were mostly fine, but a lot of them (Okkervil River, Hot Chip, Her Space Holiday) just lacked oomph. They get the ol' indifferent shrug-o'-shoulders. But this week I have to make a special Dud award, with a tiara and everything! Tokyo Rose gets the King Dud award this week. It wasn't just bad, it was bitter-beer-face bad. I changed the last leg of my set to tracks that would wash out the sour flavor that was stuck in my ears. Ah Futureheads, you always treat me so well...

Next Show: Tomorrow morning at 4 a.m. Oh, and did I mention that I'm doing an Andrew Bird hour tomorrow afternoon? 4 p.m. Drop on by and give us a listen!

Requests: Jack McKinney is cool enough to make song requests. Are you?

7 Comments:

At 8:35 AM, Blogger ZT Krugman said...

Nothing says 4 am like The Hold Steady (as long as you didn't go to sleep early and then wake up at 4 am). A dose of "Multitude of Casualties" wouldn't hurt anything...

 
At 8:53 AM, Blogger Aaron Burkhalter said...

I'll take that as an honest-to-goodness request ZT! I'll throw down some Hold Steady tomorrow morning. Which should be a good wake-up piece for you out in Winona (which begs the question, how'd you find your way over here? It's a pretty long hike from your blog to mine).

I will confess however that I'm a big wuss, and the idea of staying up until 4 a.m. is unfathomable in my mind anymore. BUT, I suspect that the bulk of my listeners are people that are coming around the bend from the day before.

 
At 9:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you got any songs about cats?

 
At 9:16 AM, Blogger Aaron Burkhalter said...

Cool Charlie, you, like my brother, are an unsufferable buffoon.
I did however play Cat Power last week. It was the greatest (yuk yuk yuk!)

 
At 9:17 AM, Blogger Aaron Burkhalter said...

And my spelling sucks... HA! Beat you to it!

 
At 10:21 AM, Blogger ZT Krugman said...

In between writing papers, I clicked on the "next blog" feature. Then, like a sign from Zeus himself, your blog came up. And I have enjoyed it since.

 
At 6:35 PM, Blogger Courtney said...

I suspect some Imogen Heap would add to your listeners' experience entirely! 'Hide and Seek' or 'Loose Ends' or 'Clear the Area'

I am passing your blog on to my sister, she's taking an NPR class and she wants to do a music show, so I told her you would be a great person to look at!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home