Friday, December 09, 2005

KWVA Playlist for Friday, Dec 9, 2005

That's it! I'm done! This morning marked the limit for how much extra DJing I can do. And the limit is: Two days in a row of 4 a.m. DJing! It's just not possible! So I couldn't really give it my all this morning; right in the middle of the set there pretty much sums up my top rated iTunes tracks. I just couldn't think and didn't have the energy to figure out what to play, so I just went to my favorites on my computer. I hate to have wasted them all in one show, but my brain was just dead.

Knowing that my mind was dead I decided to keep things mellow, with only a few exceptions. This might have been a mistake. Perhaps next time I'll play a lot of REALLY LOUD music instead.

Cat Power - The Greatest
Iron and Wine - He Lays In The Reins
Bell Orchestre - The Canal
Orb - Snowbow
Brian Eno - An Ending (Ascent)
Rufus Wainwright - Banks of the Wabash
The Dirty 3 - Dream Evie
Bjork - Gling Glo
Yesterday's New Quintet - Superstition
Induce - Coltrane's Brain
Nina Simone - Little Girl Blue
Antony and the Johnsons - Paddy's Gone
Sarah McLachlan - Prayer of St. Francis (St. Francis Cover... heh heh)
Brian Wilson - Surf's Up
Andrew Bird - Oh Sister (Bob Dylan Cover)
Seu Jorge - Life on Mars (David Bowie Cover)
Ani Difranco - Both Hands
MED - Nightlife (Request by Jack McKinney)
Aesop Rock - Daylight
The Hold Steady - Banging Camp (Request by ZT)
Imogen Heap - Goodnight and Go (Request by Courtney)
Caribou - Sunsesame
Sun Kil Moon - Tiny Cities Made of Ashes (Modest Mouse Cover)
Edith Frost - Just A Friend
Cat Stevens - The Wind
Kings of Convenience - Homesick
Peggy Honeywell - Peach and Yellow
The Evans - Sara Lee
Interpol - Not Even Jail (Daniel Kessler Remix)

The Highlights: It's funny, I didn't do as much digging today, but just about everything new I played was great. It's really hard to chose which ones were the best (and I'm not counting the Brian Wilson, Nina Simone, Andrew Bird or Antony in this, since I've either lauded them myself, or you shouldn't need me to laud them) I have to call attention to the following: Orb was great. They nuzzled in right between Bell Orchestre and Brian Eno in ways that I could not have predicted. It was perfect. I only got to hear one track from Peggy Honeywell, but it was great! I'd been avoiding it because the DJ review indicated it was bluegrass, and I had never found a moment where that seemed to fit my lineup, but I took a risk today. It's slow, melow and very pretty. I'm a big fan.

The Duds: I'm happy to report that there really weren't any duds this morning! Take out Orb and Honeywell, and what's left would have slid right behind them in the highlights section. So the Dud crown of this week goes to ME. I had a pathetic, PATHETIC moment where I went on the air to announce the songs, completely blanked, couldn't find my play list or remember even the LAST song that had played. I was totally out of my game this morning. I need a drill sargent to whip me into shape! Or something. Maybe a little bumper sticker that says "What would John Peel do?" (like throw "Teenage Kicks" on two times in a row, THAT'S what he'd do!)

Sun Kil Moon is on probation however. I haven't gone as far as putting them on the Duds list yet, but this album containing nothing but Modest Mouse covers is questionable to me. That said, cover albums dedicated to one single artist (unless of course you're Ella Fitzgerald and you're doing the Cole Porter Songbook) are always questionable to me. In this case, I think the lyrics of Isaac Brock just don't match the atmosphere that they present.

Requests: Man, you guys RULE! Three different people made requests online! Thanks to Jack, ZT and Courtney for your suggestions. All were great. I was unable to acquire "Hip-Hop" by Dead Prez though. But I did find an M.E.D. track for you. If I run across that Dead Prez track I'll throw it on down.

Jack made some interesting suggestions, which I'm going to look into. I don't know how to do podcasts, but I do know how to make an mp3 out of my show. I just haven't done it yet. The second issue would be to find someplace that could host the files. Anything that happens on this front will start in January at the soonest. So keep your eyes peeled on this site for new features!!!!!

Next Show: A special One Band / One Hour dedicated to Andrew Bird! It's today folks! 4 p.m. (West Coast time) Give us a listen!

4 Comments:

At 2:43 PM, Blogger Aaron Burkhalter said...

Jack,

What's the dilly? Where's the updates? Did Tara Reid join AA? Did Paris decide not to go out anymore? Is there nothing at all to report?

INQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW!!!!!!!!!

 
At 7:15 AM, Blogger Courtney said...

Perhaps I have no taste (and this is entirely possible), but I really love Sun Kil Moon's Tiny Cities. Pitchfork really panned it, but the NPR piece was rather nice. They also panned the newest Ben Folds album, particularly a song for Elliott Smith that I loved. HRM.

But then I don't know Modest Mouse, so maybe I am in for a super enjoyable time.

Currently I am salivating over the Canadian group Stars. 'Going Going Gone' has a kickass hook, well, in my uneducated opinion.

 
At 8:34 AM, Blogger Courtney said...

Oh man... I'm listening to Modest Mouse's 'Tiny Cities Made of Ashes,'and 'Neverending Math Equation,' and thinking I may just get Sun Kil Moon better. But it's pretty damn silly to judge a song based on one listening.

I have to admit, I balked at a whole album of cover songs of one group by one guy, but I haven't found anything in particular I dislike of SKM. I finally went for it because MM has had such a good rep, but... yeah, don't know if it's mind kind of tunage.

 
At 1:48 PM, Blogger Aaron Burkhalter said...

Courtney,

I put Sun Kil Moon on probation mainly because I was still out with the jury on my feelings of the Modest Mouse concept altogether. I really like "Never Ending Math Equation" quite a bit, but I'm still a little skeptical.

My opinion remains uneducated mainly because I've only heard a few songs. I need to give the whole thing a good listen.

I'm a big fan of Sun Kil moon in general though...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home