Sunday, January 08, 2006

UPDATE-O-RAMA KWVA Playlist for Friday, Jan 6, 2006

LAST UPDATE All links have been updated to YouSendIt files. They should work. If they don't, I'm giving up on these particular tracks.

This has been an educational morning. I learned at what point I reach my limit and actually bang on a neighbor’s door at 2:30 in the morning to get them to turn off their malfunctioning car alarm. I also learned that after 20 minutes of a car alarm going off, then shutting down, and then going off again repeatedly, that it's really hard to get to sleep, because you're consciously expecting the alarm to go off once again. Ah Pavlov, how right you were. Then I learned that if you're awake an hour before your early morning radio show starts that you're actually reasonably awake for the show itself. I'd hate to thank our neighbor for their malfunctioning car alarm, but it worked for me today, and since I don't have to be awake later this morning all is well.

I also learned that a compressed audio file of my radio show is well over 200 MB. That's well over 150 more than I currently have space for on my file storage system, so until I find another method of placing this file online, there will be no online archiving or broadcasting of this show, as much as I had hoped their would be. I still have a few tricks up my sleeve that I'm researching, and once I have the opportunity I will post these shows online.

But in the meantime, after a two-week hiatus, it's nice to be back in the studio. So let's get to that playlist!

Blackalicious - First In Flight
Dizzee Rascal - Off 2 Work
The Go! Team - The Power Is On
Animal Collective - Did You See The Words
Broken Social Scene - Ibi Dreams of Pavement (A Better Day)
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - In This Home On Ice
Blockhead - Quiet Storm
The Long Winters - The Commander Thinks Aloud
M.I.A. - U.R.A.Q.T.
Lifesavas - What If It's True
Blue Scholars - Commencement Day
Futureheads - Stupid and Shallow
Clue To Kalo - You Palsy To Protect You
Seventeen Evergreen - Music Is The Wine
Okkervil River - Missing Children
Lucika - Mouse (call in request)
Wolf Parade - Modern World
P:ano - T Hatch Says "Round Ev'ry Corner"
Dosh - You Can Make Me Cry
Konono No 1 - Paradiso
Bell Orchestre - Recording A Tape (Typewriter Duet)
Andrew Bird - Gotholympians
The Dirty Three - Ever Since
Peggy Honeywell - 2000 Years
Iron & Wine w/ Calexico - Dead Man's Will
Wilco - Airline To Heaven
Cat Power - The Greatest

The Highlights: Plenty of great music today. I really dig M.I.A.'s "U.R.A.Q.T." especially the line "Is your dad a dealer, cuz you're dope to me!" Ah shameless pun pick up lines. Peggy Honeywell and Bell Orchestre continue to delight the senses. However, P:ano takes the crown this week. So I've only heard the one track, but it got my wee heart all a flutter. A really nice track.

P:ano - T. Hatch Says (Round Every Corner) (newly updated link!)

Gah! I can't not include the M.I.A. track! Listen, and shake your booty plentifully as you do!

MIA - URAQT (newly updated link!)

The Duds: Well, a mild retraction. After a listen to Okkervil River I've come to appreciate that perhaps they're not as bad as I originally reported. I noticed that they appeared all over the various 2005 retrospectives, so I decided to give them another spin at the station. They're pretty interesting, but a bit of an acquired taste. The Long Winters was merely whelming (being neither over nor under whelming). Other than that, there's little to complain about.

Next Show: 4 a.m. - 6 a.m. Friday, January 13th. Coming up this month I'm doing another One Band / One Hour. This time I'll play Iron and Wine (and I bet some backup from Calexico will get mixed up in there somewhere). January 20th, 4 p.m. Stop on by and give us a listen! Click on the link on the sidebar.

Requests: We received a call-in request for Eugene metal act Lucika. Metal's not really my cup of chai, but we aren't running a monarchy around here. I grant the requests as they come, so if you have any for next week, or perhaps a favorite Iron & Wine track that simply must be played for the One Band / One Hour show, drop a note in the comments section.

5 Comments:

At 11:09 AM, Blogger Aaron Burkhalter said...

I guess I forgot that I broadcast the names, phone numbers and addresses of everyone you makes a request... I will send these complaints to you...

Then again, stoned and drunk people are my show's bread and butter at the moment... so maybe you're on to something

 
At 12:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me no get the P;ano track... I mean... *cough cough* The link for downloading the P;ano track wasn't working just now.

 
At 5:12 PM, Blogger Aaron Burkhalter said...

Juan,

It appears to me that all the links (old and new) are up and working again. Give it another try. If at first you don't succeed... well, you know the drill.

 
At 2:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can the RealAudio format shrink your file size, perhaps?

 
At 9:14 PM, Blogger Aaron Burkhalter said...

Dear The Baddest of all Bits,

Brilliance... Thanks for the YouSendIt link. I'll give that one a go. I was going to convert everything over to SaveFile. They're difficult to work with, but the best bet of what I've tried.

AFTER I get some other work done tomorrow, I'll fiddle around with this. Unfortunately my internship can be put off by my personal blog NO MORE.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home