Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Cat Power truly is the greatest

The Oregon Daily Emerald once again were fools enough to allow me some page space in their newspaper. This week they ran a review I wrote for Cat Power's new album The Greatest.

The Greatest is just that folks. I really dig this music. It's soulful, twangy and smooth. The backing band is perfect for Chan Marshall's songwriting here. As I stated in the review, this might be considered music fit for Starbucks, but I'm not complaining. I like it quite a bit, and if it jettisons Marshall into the world of adult contemporary, so be it. I'll to busy listening to "The Moon" on repeat.

I can't help but grumble a little bit that my article was shortened. It's a fact of life. I wish I'd suggested a different paragraph to cut, but that's the way it goes. I would add here, since it was cut from the article, that I think Marshall using her own voice as background vocals is brilliant. As Marshall sings I can see to mini-Marshall pips swaying in the background. It really creates a beautifully classic sound.

Anyway, the album is great, and it rekindled my love of Chan Marshall's music. After You Are Free I felt a little luke warm towards Cat Power. It was a good album, but not enough to keep me interested. This album completely turned that all around. Here's a few tracks to sample (that's for you ZT!). Definitely worth checking out.

Cat Power - The Moon

Cat Power - After It All

Check it out. If you like it, buy the album. I can't promote this music enough.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home