Monday, January 23, 2006

Final Fantasy kicks small puppies with big eyes

Final Fantasy blipped on my radar some time ago but it wasn't until I Guess I'm Floating posted a full concert that I finally woke up and saw the light.

Final Fantasy is a solo project by Owen Pallett hailing from the incestuous musical world of Montreal. Pallett's resume boasts the respectable task of string arrangements for critical darlings Arcade Fire (Canada's own indie rock symphonic group of Wu-Tang sized proportions). Pallett's sound is a little more experimental than the poppy sensibilities of the Fire. His songs start off with a pizzicato violin run through a looping machine. Once Pallett finishes creating a small ensemble of looping violins he throws down some sweeping vocals and... hey! Wait just one gosh darned minute here!

I've written this before, only his name wasn't Owen Pallett, it was Andrew Bird! I don't know if you've just tuned into this blog OWEN, but I swore my allegience to Andrew Bird a long time ago! I think if you'll look here, here and here (oh, and check out where my boy stands on last year's top ten!) I think you will realize that I'm a dyed in the wool Andrew Bird disciple. So if you think looping violin tracks into some stupid pop song is going to win me over... well... you'd probably be right.

Wait! No! I'm all mixed up! You confused me with your pretty violin sounds! Stupid sounds that are way not as cool as Andrew Bird! I can't talk about this anymore! I'm too upset! Just go listen to this live track (or get the whole concert from I Guess I'm Floating) and decide for yourself. I need a moment.

Final Fantasy - Hey Dad

Also, there's another choice track over at Final Fantasy's website. It, like the rest of his music, is not as cool as Andrew Bird. I also hear he kicks small puppies for recreation:

Final Fantasy - Illusion Song

2 Comments:

At 8:54 AM, Blogger ZT Krugman said...

If your so conflicted and want to defend Andrew Bird...you could always point out that the name "Final Fantasy" is without a doubt one of the dumbest names in the history of everlasting everything...

 
At 11:19 AM, Blogger Aaron Burkhalter said...

ZT,

Completely true. I'm mostly over my conflict now... I dig what FF is doing (you know you're in trouble when your abbreviation sounds cooler than your actual name) so I can forgive him this time. Also, it's merely a functional similarity. Their songwriting and sounds are completely different.

But, in no way will I ever defend his name. That was just a poor choice.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home