Friday, January 13, 2006

KWVA Playlist for Friday, Jan 13, 2006

Well, let's get it out there folks. I turn a ripe old age of 25 today. A friend in Taiwan told me that birthdays are a day to give a gift to your mother and thank her for giving birth for you (and that whole 9 months of hell thing). Here in America, we over indulge. At this point birthday parties and presents are hardly the reason. Birthday's are just another reason to hang out and drink. And here at KWVA it's an excuse for me to just play whatever the hell I want. Most days I try to mix it up with new music from the stations rotation and stick to a format of indie, electronic and hip-hop. Today I said "rotation be damned!" and decided to play a bunch of my very favorite music, plus a little from the rotation, just to keep the station placated. Happy birthday to me!

Enough babble, here's the play list!

Etta James - At Last
Andrew Bird - 11:11
Yo La Tengo - Autumn Sweater
Dungen - Festival
Public Enemy - He Got Game
The Futureheads - Hounds of Love
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - Over and Over Again (Lost and Found)
The Go! Team - Ladyflash
Gift of Gab - Way of Light
The Coup - My Favorite Mutiny (feat. Blackthought and Talib Kweli) (on air request!)
Aesop Rock - Daylight
Jurassic 5 - Jurass Finish First
Bikini Kill - New Radio
Johnny Cash and June Carter - Jackson (Live at Folsom Prison)
The Rolling Stones - Shine A Light
Joy - Goner's Blues
Mirah - Cold Cold Water
Modest Mouse - Trailer Trash
REM - At My Most Beautiful
Induce - The Re-Introduction
Duke Ellington, Charles Mingus and Max Roach - Fleurette Africaine
Bound Stems - Crimes and Follies
Ani Difranco - Both Hands
Cat Power - Good Woman
Magnetic Fields - Book of Love
Blackstar - Childrens Story
Strongbad - TROGDOR!!!!!!

The Highlights Today I played a lot of my tried and true favorites, so it's hard to pick a highlight from there. Joy is new to me, and pleasant on first listen. They'll probably make an appearance on the playlist somewhere along the line. But today's highlights (there are two!) go to some special January 13th peoples! Did you know dear friends that Johnny Cash's At Folsom Prison was performed and recorded on January 13th? Now you do!

Johnny Cash and June Carter – Jackson (Live at Folsom)

And I learned just this morning that today is the birthday of TROGDOR! THE BURNINATOR! Stop on by and celebrate three years for burnination with the whole Homestar family!

Strong Bad - TROGDOR!!!!

The Duds: Nothing really disappoints when you play your favorite music. I did try a couple new tracks, but they all faired well. Bound Stems did not change my life, nor do they really warrant a second listen, but they certainly weren't dud-worthy.

Requests: We got a lot of calls this morning! The only request came locally, this time for a track from The Coup. They were new to me, and I was delighted to find appearances by Talib Kweli and Blackthought. If you've got any requests, you can call in during the show, or drop a request here at the station.

Notes: I believe I have a solution to our file problem, thanks to Big Bad Bit. If there's any problem with the above link, let me know. I've updated the old tracks, so if you missed out on those, here's your chance to get them! All the links will be up for 7 days, after that, drop me a line and we can work something out. Given this new development, there will surely be more track reviews coming soon!

Next Show: The next show is Friday, January 20 at 4 a.m. That afternoon I’m hosting another One Band / One Hour show at 4 p.m. featuring the musical stylings of Sam Beam, aka Iron and Wine. Stop on by an listen at the KWVA link on the sidebar.

Happy Trogday everyone!

1 Comments:

At 12:18 AM, Blogger Aaron Burkhalter said...

Thank you! And thank you for your help, and for stopping by on my humble blog!

Sincerely,
One who is now closer to 50 than he is his birth...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home