Friday, January 27, 2006

KWVA Playlist for Friday, Jan 27, 2006

I'm away from my harddrive at the moment, so I've got not tracks to offer yet. Trust me when I get back home they will be posted. But in the meantime, I'm happy to report that the recording programs at the station are still working and I am once again able to post the show online. This time I broke it into four parts since it's 2 hours. You can choose which portion of the show you wantt o hear and give it a go! Woot! Here's the show:

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

Don't base chronology off of the file names. The file ending in 1 is in fact 2, and the file ending in 2 is in fact three, and so on.

This morning I realized that I wish I had a second show. I really wish I could have one show for the rock, indie, folky side of my music, and another show for the hip-hop, electronic side. I find that days like today I've got a whole bunch of great indie-ish tracks to throw down, and when I stick in my hip-hop it doesn't mesh as well as it could. Or vice-versa, when I'm going all hip-hop tastic I find that the quieter tracks just to have any place. I'll be thinking more on how to address this issue.

So let's get to that playlist!

Lady Sovereign - Random (Menta Remix Feat. Riko)
Orb - Traumvogel
Bell Orchestre - Les Lumieres Pt 1
Beth Orton - Conceived
Jenny Lewis and the Watson Twins - The Big Guns
Peter Adams - I Evolve

Break

Bonnie 'Prince' Billy and Tortoise - Calvary Cross (Richard Thompson Cover)
Catfish Haven - Please
The Glass Family - Bad News
Iron and Wine - Trapeze Swinger
Cat Power - After It All

Break

Dolly Parton - Just Because I'm A Woman
Billy Brag and Wilco - California Stars
Feist - Mushaboom
Arcade Fire - Neighborhood #3 (Power Out)
M.I.A. - URAQT
OH NO - The Ride (Feat. Med)
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - Heavy metal

Break

The Subways - Oh Yeah
Dengue Fever - Sni Bong
Polaris - Hey Sandy
Final Fantasy - Illusion Song
Frequent Flyer - Paris Blue
Antony and the Johnsons - Fistful of Love

The Highlights: I'm taken by two beautious tracks this morning. Cat Power for one. The new album has got me hooked. I really can't get enough of it. The soft twang, the soulfull shuffle of the whole thing is just fantastic. I've heard comparisons to Norah Jones already, and that's not a terrible comparison. The Greatest could really put Cat Power into the adult contemporary market, it's smooth and laid back and just the type of thing Starbucks would want to promote. But I feel like the album has just enough grit to it for Cat Power to keep her older audience pleased. I know I am.

Feist makes me happy. This particular track with it's beautiful background vocals makes me very happy. People who introduce me to Feist make me happy too. Did I mention I dig on Feist? I dig the Feist. This track rules my world.

The Duds: I'm almost considering dropping this section all together. I try as hard as I can to provide really good music, and I don't want to hate on any of it. I've found that most of the duds are at most lackluster but not terribly offensive. The worst they ever get is the ol' shug-of-the-shoulders and a "meh." That's what Peter Adams and Catfish Haven get.

Requests: I received one request today and I failed on delivery. A call in wanted to hear Dolly Parton's version of "Stairway to Heaven." I'm dissappointed because after hearing about it, I wanted to hear it too! Rest assured dear listener, I will not rest until I find the track! As for the rest of you, especially those that don't get up that early, now that I'm posting my shows I expect requests! Give me requests!!!!!!

Next Show: Next Friday at 4 a.m. I had hoped to do a One Band / One Hour before Valentine's Day of Magnetic Fields (cuz that'd be just plain cute!) but the show is already claimed. I'll do something along those lines next month.

6 Comments:

At 1:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dare you to do a one hour/one artist program on ... hmm... lessee... Ethel Merman.

 
At 3:36 PM, Blogger Aaron Burkhalter said...

you're both fired... but your unsolicited advice has inspired me. I'll put my next One Band / One Hour show up to a vote. Once I've selected a handful of artists to showcase, I'll post them here and let you vote.

Any mention on that vote of Masonna, or any other ear-bleeding-noise will be automatically turned into 3 votes in favor of Ja Rule, so you'd better watch yourself JACK!

 
At 1:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love catfish haven, your a dud

 
At 10:51 AM, Blogger Aaron Burkhalter said...

Hey man, I meant no harm. This is why I'm thinking the duds thing has gotta go. Cuz I've got no hate for the catfish, it just didn't grab me the first time around.
I really dug the dude's vocal stylings, but the particular song I listened to didn't tug at me just yet. They'll probably get another spin with another track before too long...

I do however question people that hop on and post dissent anonymously. We're all pals here, no need to hide.

 
At 11:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Aaron, my name is Daniel, right now I live in Nashville. I highly suggest giving the HAVENS Please Come Back ep a listen from front to back. Its dark, raw, stripped down soulful rock. With Hunter's voice fitting right along side some of the best of the 70's!

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger Aaron Burkhalter said...

Daniel,

I will definately give it a second chance. His voice was really quite compelling.

At the station we write little reviews for each CD, so when you're at the station picking out music to play you don't accidentally throw down some death metal right after playing your favorite Etta James track... The review for Catfish Haven was quite favorable, so I had hoped to listen to another track before too long. I really did dig his voice. It reminded me of "I'm Only Dreaming" by the Small Faces.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home