Tuesday, March 07, 2006

The Oscars

I have no real commentary here about this Sunday's Academy Awards Ceremony. Anything to be said about the impact of the nominees, the winners, the losers and of course the dresses has already been said, and my lay-opinion on the state of film and how it reflects the state of the world will add little to the conversation (although Batman Begins was robbed on all counts, even those for which it did not receive a nomination).

But what I can say is that I was waiting for something truly inspirational to happen at the event Sunday evening, and I have held this high expectation for the Oscars ever since Steven Soderberg won the much-deserved Oscar for direction the year that his films Erin Brokovich and Traffic were up for numerous awards.

Aside from my opinion of Soderberg, which is high, what he said has remained in my memory ever since that evening. I can barely remember what Reese Witherspoon said last night, but I can still remember what Soderberg said five years ago. (although I did go double check the quote online before I reprinted it here).

I want to thank anyone who spends part of their day creating. I don't care if it's a book, a film, a painting, a dance, a piece of theater, a piece of music - anybody who spends part of their day sharing their experience with us. I think this world would be unlivable without art.


I've rarely heard such inspirational words before. Most people when they receive an Oscar thank their family, the nominees. Few have even humbled themselves so much to thank the people outside of the theater for being creative. And few have recognized as Soderberg did, that any one of us can create art as beautiful as anything up for an Oscar.

For my part, I have two friends trying to make their way in the theatre. I have a friend whom I have not seen in some time who is successfully living as a musician. I have three friends on opposite ends of the earth both throwing their hearts into poetry and are, unlike the rest of us who wouldn't dare let our secret verses be heard or seen, presenting it to the rest of the world. My wife knits, beads and crafts like nobody's business. As we walk through craft fairs, she does not shop or purchase anything at all, she looks and says "Hey, I could make that." And she could. Her sister can sit down and whip out a score for a string quartet without even holding an instrument in her hand. I have friends who are photographers, filmmakers and the wholegamutt of creative outpourings. Hell, if you are reading this, more than likely you take a few moments each week to sit down and write something for all of us to read on your blogs.

Me, I dabble around a bit. I write, I sing on occasion, and I've set myself a goal to finish recording a piece I've been working on within the month. And although I might dream occasionally about winning a Pulitzer prize, or hope to be published, or perhaps some random record label will discover something I've recorded, the real reason has less to do with fame and fortune than it does the will to survive, and making the world a little bit more bearable. An photographyinstructorr here at the University of Oregon said that he wanted to be a photographer for a living because he would do it even if they did not pay him.

Brian Andreas said it best.

There are things you do because they feel right, and they may make no sense, and they may make no money, and it may be the real reason we are here: To love each other, to each other's cooking, and say it was good.


Since no one said it at the Oscars this year, here's to all of the people who spend even a small portion of their day being creative, and even more so to those who take your art and throw it out there for all to see. It takes serious bravery to do that. I hope to live up to the graciousness and honor that Soderberg bestowed upon the world five years ago, and I'm continually in awe of those I know that are living it every day.

2 Comments:

At 6:57 AM, Blogger ZT Krugman said...

There's a review for Radiohead's Kid A on Pitchfork that says, "You'll want to listen to it again just to know this was created by human beings." (or something like that). Which is how I feel when I listen to an album like that or read something (I especially get that feeling when I read Dostoevsky).

 
At 9:12 PM, Blogger Aaron Burkhalter said...

That quote really sums up how I feel about a number of albums. Or the way I have occasionally put it, music that's so good it pisses me off that they made it and I didn't. Although that's a little more negative.

I could have compiled just a bunch of inspirational quotes with all this stuff. I was looking for a quote by Aphex Twin in a book I read a long time ago where he said something like: I want to make music every day and never get a job.

But I couldn't find it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home