Sunday, February 26, 2006

Randomness Pt. 2

So after running my last post I felt like it was somewhat lackluster, and realized that two of my most important things got forgotten, and in my effort to put as many things as I thought were supposed to be there I added things in, and then just forgot. So here's take two. The other post is below.

  • Pitchfork reported an interesting incident over at Best Buy. Something I've learned through this article is that record labels will pay some decent cash to have their CD's placed on the end aisles of stores so as to more easily catch the eye of passing customers. Best Buy got a deal going with a few independent labels, and then had a sale on "left of the dial indie heroes" which included the likes of Cat Power, Antony and the Johnsons and Arcade Fire (among many other). The real surprise to the story is that they charged only $7.99 for these CDs, well below the cost they paid for them. This is a common practice in retail, but it's kind of a slap in the face to smaller, locally owned record stores that really can't compete with those prices. There's too much of this story to go into here, and rather than regurgitate the whole thing, I'll direct you straight to the article. Now purchasing CDs for me is a rare occasion right now, because I'm in school but this really emphasizes the importance of supporting small businesses and the artists. It also helps to buy direct from the artists at their websites and even better, at shows. That said, I can't really blame anyone for wanting to save some cash. It's a tough call, but I really like the smaller shops, so I'd hate to see them go away.

  • I Guess I'm Floating has become a regular pit stop for me in this great wide internet. And earlier this week they put up this fantastic post. I'll let our floaty friends tell the whole story to you direct, but I'll just say it involved The Flaming Lips, Blues Clues (the kids show popular from almost 10 years ago now) and a serious career shift. Which is amusing to see the Lips involved with things like this, given the rumors some time back that they would provide the soundtrack for a Harold and the Purple Crayon film adaptation.

  • And for my own interest, I hopped on by to Final Fantasy's website and discovered this little statement about the name.

    Final Fantasy--the band--is named in humble tribute to Final Fantasy--the game. Lawsuits have not yet arisen, but when they do, you'll be the first to know. Final Fantasy, to us, is a great amalgam of capitalism, swords, melodrama and Japan.


    Furthermore the website has this to say:

    "Final Fantasy" is far more suitable than "Owen Pallett" because 'Owen Pallett' is a Welsh-y name that suggests leeks, projects and "I'm the only gay in Aberfynn-Weldy." So Final Fantasy it is.


    Owen... let's have a sit down talk here. I dig your music man. It took me a while to come to that conclusion, but I did finally come around didn't I? Now, let's be clear, the meaning suggested by the name "Final Fantasy" I must say has far more negative implications than those you listed for the name "Owen Pallett." I would far prefer thinking of leeks and gay men in Aberfynn-Weldy when listening to your music than I would a video game, but hey, that's just me. The fact is, when I think of a band called "Final Fantasy" the sound that enters my head is more suitable for a Dance Dance Revolution console.

1 Comments:

At 9:45 AM, Blogger 2 Famous Girls said...

We appreciate your insight.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home