Tuesday, February 14, 2006

KWVA Valentine Spectacular!

Many apologies for my tardiness of playlist posting this week folks. Friday's show is posted just below this one. I have no reasonable excuse other than classes and general buzyness. I'm halfway through a term in which my main work is focused around to term papers. I have little homework, but two big assignments taking up a lot of my time. Since I'm a horrible procrastonater and I just entered the second half of the quarter, I'm now letting these papers consume my life and trying to make up for my previous laziness.

So this show was just a mix of some of my very favorite love songs and others that just seemed to fit pretty well. I made the mistake of only bringing CD's and not my computer, so when I was halfway through the show and realizing I didn't bring enough music I was kind of scrambling, but fortunately the station had everything else I was looking for.

I apologize for the randomness of the tracks. I bumped the mouse, so the first part is like 2 minutes. The last section I forgot to break up, so it's a full hour. But Megan says it's my best show. So y'all best listen and appreciate! You don't want to make a liar out of Megan do you? Here's the show in 4 parts:

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4


Lucinda Williams - Passionate Kisses
Wilco - I'm The Man Who Loves You
The Boy Least Likely To - Be Gentle With Me
Magnetic Fields - I'm Sorry That I Love You
Ani Difranco - Both Hands
Iron & Wine - Naked As We Came
Sufjan Stevens - To Be Alone With You
REM - At My Most Beautiful
Beach Boys - Forever
Burt Bacharach - Trains and Boats and Planes
The Roots - You Got Me (alternate version feat. Jill Scott and Eve)
Sleater-Kinney - Leave You Behind
Rufus Wainwright - 14th Street
Rolling Stones - Wild Horses
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Rock of Gilbraltar
Magnetic Fields - I Think I Need A New Heart
Beatles - Two of Us
Postal Service - Such Great Heights
Neko Case and Her Boyfriends - No Need To Cry
Beck - I Guess I'm Doing Fine
Antony and the Johnsons - Fistful of Love
Ewan McGregor - Your Song
Cat Power - Good Woman
Johnny Cash - Give My Love To Rose
Futureheads - Hounds of Love
Beach Boys - Disney Girls
Petra Haden and Bill Frisell - I Believe
Magnetic Fields - Book of Love

Highlights: Although this set was all personal favorites of mine, there were a few highlights of note. To begin with, let me say that I will never again play Cat Power's "Good Woman" followed by Johnny Cash's "Give My Love To Rose." I joked about it on the air, but really and truly, that was depressing. When I picked them out I thought "Brilliant! Saddest music in the world. Won't by a dry eye in Eugene (and the web)." But when I listened to them I was just... sad... So listen with caution friends. Those two songs side by side are not for the faint of heart.

A'ight. Down to brass tacks:

Cat Power's "Good Woman" is one of my favorite songs of hers, off of an album that lacked a little bit, but this song really makes up for it all. There's some young sounding voices in the background, but the male voice is none other than Eddie Veddor. Go figure huh? But still, his addition just wrenches you at the end of the song. When Cat Power sings "That is why I am lying when I say..." and he comes in with "I don't love you" almost as if the "you" in the song is predicting what Chan Marshall is going to say before she says it. This is an amazingly sad song:

Cat Power - Good Woman

Petra Haden is just been on my personal rotation constantly, and this album really brought her back to my attention all over again. The whole album she does with Bill Frisell is just sweet and beautiful Really worth checking out:

Petra Haden and Bill Frisell - I Believe

And this song was Megan and my first dance. It was also the processional for another wedding we attended. It's cute and pretty:

Magnetic Fields - Book of Love

Next Show: This Thursday, 4 am!

4 Comments:

At 6:14 AM, Blogger Brett said...

because this is your most recent post and my blog went down i'll respond to your comment here: bravo! i think you summed it up. we're not very good at treating each other the way we should.. and creating born-that-way-second-class-citizens sure won't get us any farther.

 
At 3:39 PM, Blogger Aaron Burkhalter said...

Sorry to see that both of your blogs are down Brett! I hope that you're not having too much troubles with the techie type services.


We'll have to discuss A.I. more in the future, and not the movie which I hated beyond belief... but the technology and general philosophies in general. Maybe next time we're up in Seattle I can dig through storage and find that book.

 
At 9:09 PM, Blogger Brett said...

check it out! musicwise, I didn't know about these before, but i decided they're really purdy. brahms string sextets, numbers 1 and 2. i found them on le itunes, for some reason, and i was listening and i really liked the 30 second blip for all the movements.. and so i just got the whole damn thing.. i've been very pleased by it. i like brahms though anyway.. do you know why? i'm not sure why..

 
At 11:49 AM, Blogger Aaron Burkhalter said...

I'm looking for them in my library, but I'll also go check them out at iTunes. I've not listened to a lot of Brahms, so I'm excited to give him a whirl.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home