Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Ah spring... and Iron & Wine...

Today, for the first time this year, the sun shone bright enough that I took off my jacket as I walked home. I wish I could say that I strolled hom with out the heavy (literally) reminder of school sitting on my back and under my arms in the form of a laptop and several books. But I'll welcome the warmer weather any time.

As it gets warmer, I like to crank up the Iron & Wine on my stereo (if crank is in any way an appropriate verb to use with Sam Beam's voice), sit on my balcony and watch the athletic field that serves as my back yard. I enjoy watching the joggers and baseball games and general activity. Even though we're a little early, the weather has prompted a few volleyball players to venture out into the surprisingly warm world of Eugene to come out of their hibernation caves. On Fridays I like to sit with my friends on the balcony and watch the joggers. We dare each other quietly to lean down and ask them why they're out jogging on a Friday night, but we fear that one of them will break down and cry because they have no friends. And that would ruin the warm happy mood set by our good friend Sam Beam on the stereo.

So I'm feeling like sharing my mood a little bit. If it's not sunny where you are, hopefully Iron & Wine can bring a little warmth into the cold. He makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.

Iron & Wine - Upward Over The Mountain

Iron & Wine - Sodom South Georgia

Also, for those of you who are die-hards of my man Sam(hee hee. I made a rhyme) iTune's has two exclusive EP's worth checking out. One contains four unreleased tracks, the other is a new live session with his sister Sarah, which includes a cover of the New Order song "Love Vigilantes." Go here to check that out.

And for our many readers out there in the European-netiverse, Iron & Wine and Calexico are going on tour! Woot! Read all about it, and Calexico's new album, here! Much of the same information can be found on Iron & Wine's website.

8 Comments:

At 3:09 AM, Blogger Courtney said...

which was the one that you played on your radio station the other day? (well, the other week now) I loved that song, I listen that broadcast over and over again so I can hear that track. mm good stuff.

 
At 9:17 AM, Blogger Aaron Burkhalter said...

Was it "Trapeze Swinger"

I bet that was it, because I'm addicted to that song right now too. It's off of the In Good Company soundtrack. It's really long. Although there's a couple other ones I found trolling about the internet...

Aaron

 
At 7:41 PM, Blogger Bubba Da Cat said...

Dude, go check my site now!

 
At 4:02 AM, Blogger Courtney said...

It is Trapeze Swinger. I'm bitter because I can't hunt it down because my internet isn't working properly and I'm stuck in a manga cafe. Evil bastards. I deleted that initially because I felt guilty typing bastards on your blog, and then the next thing I thought was evil bastards, so I think we're going to run with that. Ask Megan about me and 'muffin' back in college. I now say 'Bastards!' almost as frequently, but only when I'm mildly irritated about something. Which is odd. I feel like I'm veering into a Brett moment. My life needs more Brett moments.

Actually, I say 'Bastards!' now so frequently that I have a really sweet coworker saying it... and you have no idea how cute it is coming from her.

In love with that Tortoise/ Bonnie Prince Billy album now... the Richard and Linda Thomas track rocks my socks off. And the song 'Thunder Road,' whose was that... Springsteen. Mmm.

Incidentally, if you do a web search for 'Thunder Road,' you get an Adolescent Treatment center, a Robert Mitchum movie, a Welsh motorcycle shop, Georgia's Racing Hall of Fame, a family fun park in SD, and, yes, websites for springsteen, including one for Belgians.

Ain't life fun?

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger Aaron Burkhalter said...

Courtney,

iTunes has the track also if you're hunting it down. Or I could just post it sometime soon too (winkwink).

Megan has told me about "muffin" before, and I'm pleased to hear that you're using the term "bastard" more often, it being my most favorite of all swears.

I'm glad you liked the Bonnie "Tortoise" Billy (hee hee) track. I really like it too, although I played one the other day that sounded odd and was poorly timed in my set... it's far more complicated than that, anyway. Pitchfork gave the album a bad review, but I'm starting to find that Pitchfork and I quite often part ways on opinions. Especially in the realm of hip-hop. We never agree there at all...

Richard and Linda Thompson rock my world entirely. And the album that track comes from is great. It's called I Want To See The Bright Lights Tonight and it's completely awesome.

Aaron

 
At 7:58 PM, Blogger Bubba Da Cat said...

Just give me your AIM address and I'll send you the Miss Murgatoid album.

 
At 6:38 PM, Blogger Courtney said...

Post! Post! Trapeze Singer! Anything Else! I am awful, but in my defense if it were on sale in Japan, I would have already bought it.

Incidentally: Richard Julian 'Slow New York'. You want it, you really really want it.

What or who, is Miss Murgatroid?

 
At 11:17 PM, Blogger Aaron Burkhalter said...

Courtney,

When I first saw your post I thought "Wow! How does she know about Miss Murgatoid? Such timing!" thinking that it was so conoincidental that we tripped upon her at the same time... then I realized that Bubba had thrown something down there.

Miss Murgatoid, as I am learning, is an accordian player and a most eccentric one at that. The reason she blipped on my radar is that she recorded an album several years ago with Petra Haden. I'm posting on some Petra Haden news later on when I have some time to gather my news and info... Anyway, I'm hoping to do a Petra Haden One Hour / One Band, so I went to the biggest Petra Haden fan I knew of Bubba and inquired further about the album.

Further news of all this will appear in a future post, once I freaking get on top of things.

I will check out said track...

And to all others,

I had two shows this weekend, and haven't posted yet. I'll post tomorrow. There's this wacky thing called school that is most vexing in its consumption of my time. Tonight Megan sat at home wondering where I was while a meeting that was supposed to end at nine kept me out until near 11. Tomorrow I'm staying at home and sticking my tongue out at the outside world.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home