Saturday, December 13, 2008

"Listening to" update

Oh SNAP! Is he actually updating his "Listening To" section less than six months after the last update? Well, I've been consuming a lot of music lately, plus Photobucket yanked an image I had posted over there from my last update. Turns out the cover of this album by Lambchop violates the site's policies. I was fully aware the figures on the album were in fact nude, but for some reason it being a painting it never struck me as something inappropriate. But that's just me.

Let's get to it. As usual, header links lead to a sampling of some sort (usually a music video on YouTube) where you can legally enjoy the music.

Fiona Apple - Tidal
Okay, yeah this album is like, 12 years old now. But earlier this week I was once again enjoying all the glory that is Pandora. For those not familiar, you can select an artist (like, say, Regina Spektor in this case) and the site starts streaming full tracks of that artist and similar artists. You give each the thumbs-up or -down and it makes changes based on your preferences.

Ol' Fiona popped up on my now-saved Regina station. Nostalgia central kicked in, and I suddenly needed Tidal again, just cuz I lost it when I got rid of my cassette tapes. To me, the album stands the test of time. I'll admit the "The First Taste" sounds a little canned still, but tracks like "Sleep To Dream" (linked video above), "Shadowboxer" and "Criminal" are still really great.

I'll spare you the long-told "Your Mom" joke us young-uns used to make based on "Criminal." You're better off without it.

Final Fantasy - Plays to Please
I couldn't find a proper sample of the new album, so you're just going to have to take my word for it. The sample I did find is far and away the reason I adore Owen Pallett's ridiculously named musical project. (seriously, if you haven't heard me say this before, I hate the name "Final Fantasy")

But teasing aside (I've teased poor Pallett enough already), I am honestly a little mixed about this album. It's not as instantly appealing as the minimal but still poppy debut Has A Good Home and the entirely winsome, lush (yet also ridiculously titled) He Poos Clouds.

As this one opens up, I wonder if Pallett is trying to record for a musical about an all-women's prison.

It's lush, much like Poos, but the full orchestra, occasional ragtime rhythms and discordant upbeatness all just leave me feeling a little gummy. But that's just one single listen in. I intend to give it a few more spins before casting too harsh a judgment.

Adele - 19
What is it about soul singers hailing from the British Isles? But I've once again added Adele to the growing list (see Amy Winhouse, Duffy and, well, just look at Alice Russel below) of those British singers who have more in common with Aretha Franklin than they do Queen Elizabeth.

Adele is probably the most subdued in the "soul"-ness of it all. The singing style is their, but her compositions are often a little folkier, take the opening track "Daydreamer."

Alice Russell - Pot of Gold
What is it about soul singers hailing from the British Isles? Whoa. Weird sense of de ja vu.

Actually this might be one of my favorite albums of the year so far. Take the beautiful, steady and sultry track listed above. Can't help but love it.

But what sucked me in - a fantastic cover of Gnarls Barkley's now-legendary "Crazy." Maybe I overstate that song a bit, but I've been amazed by the number of times I've heard this track covered, and it's only three or four years old. Russell's version is great - slow, smooth and restrained.

Stars - Set Yourself on Fire
So yeah, they've had a new album come out since this one was released, but I'm a little slow on the uptake these days.

I nabbed a few tracks off eMusic a long long while ago, and never got around to listening to them. Then an odd appearance of "Your Ex-Love Is Dead" on Degrassi: The Next Generation reminded me I really wanted to go check them out. It probably helped that they played the track when Darcy broke up with that jerk-head Spinner (again) for sleeping with some girl thus breaking his vow of abstinence (again).

I think I like Stars because they remind me a little bit of The Rentals, a short-lived but once again reunited spin-off of Weezer and that dog (happy, Chris?) that brought us the flash-pan hit Friends of P.

Really, I was destined to like the Stars. Let's review: Played in Degrassi, reminds me of bands featuring Petra Haden, orchestral backing. What, I ask you, is not to love.

1 Comments:

At 4:37 AM, Blogger Chris Burkhalter said...

You're shy a period, son. But I'm almost happy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home