Friday, March 10, 2006

KWVA Playlist

I was pretty happy with today's show. Lots of great tracks, LOTS of requests! You guys rule today. Thanks for all the calls!

But the biggest news today in Eugene is the snow! I'll admit, yesterday the cold weather irritated me, and the threats of snow only warranted my violent shaking of fist and insistence that it's March and no longer time for such weather. But now that the campus is dusted with a quarter inch of snowy bliss I'm enchanted by the prettiness of it all and my general distaste for the cold quickly moves aside.

Unfortunately the snow affects broadcast around here, and it set off some unusual alarms and led me to accidentally play The High Dials twice instead of the CD I meant to close with. But that's a minor detail. It was serendipitous since the track I accidentally played was appropriate since it's titled "Winter Ghosts."

(editors note: it's now 11 a.m. and the snow is almost entirely gone save for a few small patches here and there. This kind of weather gets schools shut down for the entire day 'round these parts.)

But as for music, I had lots of stuff I wanted to play today, and I was able to cram it all in there, and by the time I was done I had a stack of CD's that I never got to look through. That's what we call a good morning.

If you find yourself not wanting to sit through 2 hours of music, let me direct you to the second hour starting with Emily Loizeau and ending with Iron & Wine. It was my favorite section of show, even though I enjoyed all the music.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Teenage Fanclub - Save
Sparks - Perfume
The Magnetic Fields - I Thought You Were My Boyfriend (Extended Mix)
Diverse - Ain't Right
His Name Is Alive - After I Leave You
Flaming Lips - The Wand
Ladytron - Destroy Everything You Touch
Dosh - Nothing New
The Double - Idiocy
Belle and Sebastian - Another Sunny Day
that dog. - Retreat From The Sun
Portugal, The Man - How The Leopard Got Its Spots
Adult. - Glue Your Eyelids Together
The Subways - Oh Yeah
Arctic Monkeys - A Certain Romance
Wolf Parade - Modern World
Emily Loizeau w/ Andrew Bird - London Town
Antony and the Johnsons - My Lady Story
Claudine Longet - I Think It's Going To Rain Today
Iron & Wine - The Trapeze Swinger
Tom Waits - Metro
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - Heavy Metal
Arab Strap - Don't Ask Me To Dance
The High Dials - Soul In Lust
The High Dials - Winter Ghosts

Highlights: Oh so much here! I can hardly decide what to feature here, and surely whatever I don't will just get its own post down the road. Argle bargle! Too tired to decide! Okay, here goes! Highlights of the day:

Dosh my friends, Dosh. I discovered Dosh via Andrew Bird (whom I kind of think is halfway decent) and Dosh has been rocking my world since I picked up Powder Horn after Christmas. His music is dense and loose and beautiful. Rumor has it he and Bird are collaborating on a new album. Oh the excitement of it all! Give this track a listen:

Dosh - Nothing New

The Subways have appeared on the setlist too many times to not get a little recognition. I love this track. There's a small part of me that looks at their oxycuted little faces on the liner notes and feel like I'm much to old even at 25 to like this music. This is an album for the youths, but I can't stop listening to "Oh Yeah." It's just fun music, and it makes me want to move.

The Subways - Oh Yeah

Requests: Thank you thank you thank you for the requests! I've mentioned before my confusion and beffuddlement towards those that hear my show and then request local heavy metal acts. I always grant the requests when I'm able, but I occasionally do it with some confusion and want to ask "Have you been listening?" But today the three requests fell right in place with my set. One caller asked what kind of music I was playing this morning before he made his request. These are the kind of listeners I'm thankful for. You guys rock. Also, it's really nice knowing that there are people out there listening. I learned this morning that one listener listens during his paper route. Here's to all y'alls that's awake this early in the morning!!! If you've got a request for future shows, drop me a line during the show if you're awake, or leave a note in the comments box.

Next Show Should be next Friday unless something else comes along. I'm heading up to Seattle that day, and may try to get a fill in for that morning. I hate to promise a show since I haven't posted since set list since Valentine's Day. Yikes.

2 Comments:

At 8:34 AM, Blogger Aaron Burkhalter said...

And you should accept my humble apologies for not recognizing that you were the one to introduce me to Das Subways. They've been a fun addition to the set list. And the track "Oh Yeah" rocks my booty in a most movemental way.

 
At 5:02 PM, Blogger Aaron Burkhalter said...

Gemini,

Worry not of Mr. McKinney's lewd, but not at all surprising comments. Despite our best effort to create a civil environment at this blog, Mr. McKinney has responded with crude and inappropriate comments at every turn. I have learned that much like my eldest brother that Mr. McKinney is an insufferable baffoon. I can only hope that you do not suffer such blog infestation. If only Jack, and my eldest brother were more like myself or my youngest brother. Then we would all live in peace an civility.

Until that day, Mr. McKinney, I'll see you in hell....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home