Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Petra Haden

Midway through the last academic quarter I set out to update the world on a few small Petra Haden related tidbits, and since then I have done nothing about it. Also since then, she has only proved herself a busy bee, making this post a little more extensive than originally planned. So here's what our favorite singer/violinist/sellout has been up to lately:

  • First, and most importantly. I posted some time ago that Petra Haden recorded a vocal rendition of Brian Wilson's famous piece "God Only Knows" in the same fashion that she vocally recorded the album The Who Sell Out. Since then she has posted her own version of Michael Jackson's "Thriller." Be twitterpatted, be excited, be happy. Listen to it here.

  • Petra Haden and Miss Murgatroid have once again come together to record another album. It is unreleased as of yet, but they are seeking someone to distribute the album. If you are out there looking for music to distribute, or just randomly sitting on a large sum of money to support such a venture, good gravy folks, get on it! And you can find more information here. And what the heck, give this track a listen. It comes from their previous album Bella Neurox

  • Her official site has been updated extensively, including an announcement for an upcoming concert that's not taking place anywhere near me, so I don't care at all. Not at all... not caring... watch me not care! mumblegrumble... In addition she's posted an extensive discography, including albums for which she provided background vocals. It's really very extensive, and makes me realize that it may be impossible to be a completist with her. However, I myself just snagged up her album she recorded with Crib, and I'm quite delighted by the results. Woot!

  • And finally, what would an extensive post about one of my favorite musicians be without the promise of another One Hour / One Band? That's right! I'll be spinning the music of Petra Haden, spanning from her that dog. years all the way up to her most recent releases on KWVA on April 14th. I'll be spinning from 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. and you can listen live at this link or just hang tight until I've posted it up on my blog.

3 Comments:

At 12:06 PM, Blogger ZT Krugman said...

Pehaps you should start a pool as to what classic song she'll cover next. I'll put a dollar on Lou Reed's "Take a Walk On the Wild Side".

 
At 3:29 PM, Blogger Aaron Burkhalter said...

Glad to hear about the ghostface, er goatface... ghostsnake? hmmm... and as for Masonna, I've come to expect nothing less from you, or should I actually say "more"?

As for future covers, I'm stumped on that one! Thriller honestly came out of the blue for me. It's a great track to be sure, but it never entered my mind as something she'd take on. What's really interesting to me is that in the last year and a half she's cranked out two albums and a couple singles of fantastic music, of which only one track was actually composed by Haden herself. And yet I still love it all... brings back to mind a debate over covers I had with Courtney. Courtney, I've officially lost this debate based on my own hypocracy.

I have no guess yet as to her next cover, and I'm tempted to make a rather dumb Metal Machine Music joke, as I am frequently wont to do, so I'll just end now before I emberass myself.

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger Aaron Burkhalter said...

As an aside, Jack, you should hear this Crib album. I love it, making it my favorite album to get completely trashed by Pitchfork. I've never had an album I liked get such an abismally low score. A whopping 2.0. They said it sounded like a refrigerator. Which is great for me because I've always been saying how i'd love a 40 minute CD of my refrigerator hum... kidding...

I think it's better than that. i snagged it on a whim with an iTunes gift card because they credited it as a collaberation with Petra Haden. Little did I know they only collaberated for one track, but I'm not complaining. Great ambient stuff...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home