Friday, April 21, 2006

KWVA Playlist for Friday, April 21, 2006

A little preparation goes a long way. Lately as my week goes along I've been keeping a notepad and jotting down songs I'd like to play on my Friday morning show. What a difference! When I get there I'm not blanking on what I've heard this week and what deserves a little airplay. My new iPod has helped considerably. Architecture in Helsinki, Tindersticks and Fourtet are all groups that I received from friends and relations and left to rot alone on my harddrive, never to see the light of day. But now they're coming out in full force, appearing on my headphones, and now the radio!

Also good news today. I've actually recorded the show. I do this every week, but the last two shows failed to record or failed to make it to my inbox when I mailed them from the station. Today everything seems to be in working order, with the exception of Part 2, which is clipped a little short at the end. So give it all a listen!


Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4



Boy Least Likely To - Be Gentle With Me
Architecture In Helsinki - Souvenirs
Smog - Hit The Ground Running
Cat Power - After It All
Calexico - Bisbee Blue
P:ano - T. Hatch Says "Round Ev'ry Corner"

Break

Anna Oxygen - Dream. Dream. Dreams.
DJ Cam - Love Junkee (J. Dilla Remix)
Anti Pop Consortium - Places I've Never Been
Mogwai - Friend of the Night
Dosh - You Can't Make Me Cry

Break

Sufjan Stevens - Adlai Stevenson
Final Fantasy - Spell For A Weak Heart
Four Tet - As Serious As Your Life
The Concretes - Postpone It
I'm From Barcelona - We're From Barcelona
The Pipettes - Your Guitars Are Wasted On Me

Break

The Polyphonic Spree - Hold Me Now
Built To Spill - Conventional Wisdom
Tindersticks - Bathtime
Neutral Milk Hotel - The King Carrott Flower
We Will Build - Pleasant
Andrew Bird - The Naming of Things
Belle and Sebastian - Another Sunny Day

Highlights: Lots of great music today. In fact there's so much that I'm hesitent to pick anything out, indicating inaadvertantly that it's the very best. But let's pick out a few noteworthies for your interest.

Sufjan Stevens has a track on the Kill Rock Stars compilation The Sound The Hare Heard and this is a fantastic, albeit short, addition. I don't have much to say about this. Sufjan Stevens is musics current MVP, and has gained such a state of popularity that I've come to assume he's running an underground circuit of organized criminals, all dedicated to keeping him the favorite on every radiostation, blog and website. Whether his methods are pure or not, it's still pretty good music.

Sufjan Stevens - Adlai Stevenson

Once again let's give thanks to c for alerting us to another great band. I'm From Barcelona is quite the conglomeration of Swedish singers and musicians, in much the same fashion as The Polyphonic Spree (see today's show) but not quite as irritating as the robe clad rainbow children from Texas. I'd post it here, but you should really hop over to the post at I Guess I'm Floating. Both tracks are worth your time.

And finally, I want to once again recognize We Will Build, again a tip I received over at I Guess I'm Floating. I want to highlight them again because, well, they don't have a CD out, and the only press they're receiving is from blogs. So here it is. Once again, hope over to I Guess I'm Floating for their post on the band. Or snag it directly from the bad here.

Requests: I take back every kind word I've said about my listeners... Once again, no calls, no requests, no valentines and flowers. What's up guys? I'm a volunteer y'know. I demand some love for what I do!

Next Show: Next Friday, as usual! But I've got a special little treat cooked up for all y'alls coming up next week. I won't say more now, so I don't spoil the surprise, but I've got a special little bonus for all my friends online. Woot!

5 Comments:

At 2:46 PM, Blogger Aaron Burkhalter said...

Dammit! Er... I mean... of COURSE not... why would I do something like that?

 
At 11:37 AM, Blogger ZT Krugman said...

Mmm...peeps...

Thanks for the Sufjan track, but did he get to you too? I think I've seen some of his goons parked in a Cadillac outside my apartment...or are those old people. Not quite sure...

 
At 12:06 PM, Blogger Aaron Burkhalter said...

I am not at liberty to divulge exactly why I like Sufjan Stevens at this conjecture. I can say that Asthmatic Kitty Records sent... er... made two very large, strong and well-armed points to me about why Sufjan Stevens is the greatest musician of our times.

The music, I have sense found, draws up great emotions whenever I listen to it. Those feelings border on what I would call fear for my life, but hey, art's not always supposed to make you happy right?

deargodifearformylife....

 
At 12:14 AM, Blogger ZT Krugman said...

Yikes...I'd help you, but I have a week left of college and I'm concentrating on enjoying it to it's fullest...and if that means another beer, then so be it...

 
At 12:15 AM, Blogger ZT Krugman said...

Is it past 2 am...why yes it is...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home