Friday, April 07, 2006

KWVA Playlist for Friday, April 7, 2006

Well it's been some time since I've posted. And I'm sad to report that there'll be no show to post along with today's playlist. This is due to some computer related complications. Normally I record the show on the station's computer, then mail it to myself from there. Well, the mailing portion just didn't work this time around. So instead I'll load y'alls up with some extra highlights today to tide you over, since I know y'alls been sitting around wondering where I was and when my next show would be posted. Well rest assured, you can now resume your lives normally now that you know what's going on. So without further ramblingness... the playlist!!!

Beth Orton - Rectify
Neko Case - The Needle Has Landed
Bonnie "Prince" Billy and Tortoise - Calvary Cross
Band of Horses - The First Song
The Go! Team - Huddle Flash
Johnny Boy - Johnny Boy Theme
Built To Spill - Gone
Islands - Don't Call Me Whitney, Bobby
Maritime - Tearing up The Oxygen
Boy Least Likely To - Be Gentle With Me
Belle and Sebastian - Funny Little Frog
The Concretes - Chosen One
We Will Build - White Furniture
Final Fantasy - Peach Plum Pear
Antony and the Johnsons - Frankenstein
Claudine Longet - God Only Knows
Flaming Lips - Goin' On
Futureheads - Skip To The End
The Pipettes - Your Kisses Are Wasted On Me
Calexico - Cruel
Wlico - Ashes of American Flags
Iron and Wine/Calexico - All Tomorrow's Parties
Andrew Bird - Oh Sister
Capricorns - Vega City
Subways - Oh Yeah
Sparks - Perfume

Highlights: Our Highlights today will be packed with more stories, puzzles and narratives that subsitute nouns with pictures than the magazine of the same name! Or at least it'll be packed with songs...

We Will Build is a new find that comes via one of my favorite blogs, I Guess I'm Floating. They posted a contest asking readers to submit a band that they had never heard of before, and they would choose the winner out of the near-hundred submissions. We Will Build was the band from the winning post. Woot! I really enjoy them. Dancy goodness. And the best part for you is that, although they have no album, all their music is available online! Hope over to I Guess I'm Floating's post for more information, a link to the bands MySpace and some of those lovely tracks. OR, listen to this one right here!

We Will Build - White Furniture

I've been listening to Neko Case for sometime now, but some how her existance dropped off of my radar. Furnace Room Lullabye is one of my favorite albums for the cool autumn overcast season, and yet everything she released after that just slipped by without my noticing. Luckily KWVA's rotation features her new album Fox Confessor Brings the Flood jarring my neglect. And the track "The Needle Has Landed" freaking rules my world right now. The melody of this song is amazing. One moment you think you're being dragged one way, then she whips you around and drags you another.

Neko Case - The Needle Has Landed

Have I mentioned before that I like Iron & Wine? I kind of do. I also like The Velvet Underground. Iron & Wine covering the Velvet Underground? That makes for one happy dj/blogger! I found this track on my first attempt at The Hype Machine. This little search engine is a music fan's dream come true. It searches blogs for tracks, and links you to the blogs. OR, you can just listen to the tracks on a playlist build off of your search. This lead me to a lovely blog called So Much Silence and a post featuring the NPR concert of Iron & Wine with Calexico. Thanks to whatever kind soul transferred those to an mp3 format. And thanks to Sam Beam and Calexico for their lovely rendition of "All Tomorrow's Parties." This track is sure to delight me and drive my wife nuts as I play it over and over again in the coming week.

Iron & Wine/Calexico - All Tomorrow's Parties

And finally, I've been meaning to post on Claudine Longet for some time. In fact, I've got like a freaking huge list of posts I've wanted to make, and I simply have not had the time. So in leu of a full post all about Claudine Longet, here's her version of the Beach Boy classic track "God Only Knows."

Claudine Longet - God Only Knows

Requests: Yeah, nobody loves me. No requests. Other than Jack's pretty regular Masonna requests, which I ignore each and every time.

Next Show: That'd be Friday morning again. And then again that afternoon for a One Band / One Hour featuring the lovely and talented Petra Haden.

1 Comments:

At 9:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

very nice show, the last song really caught my attention (although the rappers after were jarring)

more thoughts some other time...

j. mross

 

Post a Comment

<< Home