Thursday, April 13, 2006

Randomness Pt 3?

Continued randomness my friends. I have little to report music wise, but so much has happened in my personal life that I can't help but list a few highlights here.

  • First and foremost, my elder brother (often referred to here as an insufferable bafoon) married his long time girlfriend. They had a great ceremony and reception. It was awesome being part of it all and I'm really happy for them

  • Megan has accepted a job teaching biology and chemistry in the Federal Way School District. For those out abroad, Federal Way is south of Seattle and just north of Tacoma. We're looking around the area for someplace nice to live while we're there. This will limit my job options somewhat, but I'm a little more willing to commute than Megan is, so I'm keeping my options open.

  • Secretly we all know that Megan's job acceptance was just a thinly veiled plot to trump my acheivement of getting an internship for the summer. I'll be writing at The Daily Astorian for about 10 weeks from June to the end of August. I'm really excited to get the experience of working at a daily newspaper. My boss seems like he'll be pretty cool, and the area is fantastic. I'll be able to get off work and hike off to the beach for a break. Still working out housing. If anyone out there is looking for a roomie for the summer in Astoria, drop me a line!

  • I had one of the best interviewing experiences of my life, competing with my interview with my Andrew Bird interview from last year. This time I got to rub elbows with Tre Hardson, who many of you might remember as SlimKid3 from The Pharcyde. The Daily Emerald once again printed my article, and many thanks to both Matt (at the Emerald) and Martha (Tre's girlfriend) for organizing this whole thing. It was absolutely amazing to get to talk to such a creative mind and learn about being an indipendent artist. You can read the article here and also check out Matt's review of Tre's newest album SlimKid3's Cafe. Tre put on a great show last week in Eugene with Arrested Development's Speech, both of which will surely get some airtime in future KWVA playlists.

  • And also on the music side of things, I've entered the wild and crazy world of iPoders. I've been rocking it out like those sillhouette dancers all week with my new white shiney iPod in hand. What's really nice about it is being able to listen to all that music people have directed my way that never got a proper listen because they're sitting in the dusty depths of my computer. Those too will likely make appearances on future playlists

11 Comments:

At 10:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm totally buying you that underwear with the iPod pocket.

 
At 3:37 AM, Blogger Aaron Burkhalter said...

You are a sad, strange, little man and you have my pity.

And you kinda creep me out too. Juan Pepe, I urge you to cease and dissist.

 
At 10:11 AM, Blogger ZT Krugman said...

Hey, congrats on the iPod, and good luck exploring the deep, dark recesses of your music collection...

 
At 6:00 PM, Blogger Aaron Burkhalter said...

Jack,

You're baffoonery is endless and unrelenting. You're forcing me to take drastic measures. I will shout from the rooftops of Eugene my hatred and disdain for Masonna...

And in actuality, I don't even have any Masonna on my iPod.

I have however been listening to a lot of Vibracathedral Orchestra and Tindersticks, and enjoying both plentifully. Not to mention some Feist.

To ZT, I applaud you for putting up the only sincere post this entire time, and neither forcing iPod accessory undergarments or noise music on me...

 
At 9:59 PM, Blogger Bubba Da Cat said...

Dude, I too was without an iPod for a long time, till this past X-mas. I got a 30 GB Black Video iPod, with what etched into the back of it? That's right, "Watch out for snakes!". My mom rules. Anywho, thanks for the love on my pictures, I got more coming in the next week, more from Taste Of Chaos and a few from The Stills.

 
At 8:12 AM, Blogger Courtney said...

Did you notice the new Calexico? Jus' sayin'.

My iPod is so ghetto compared to these shiney new wafers they're marketing with their magical movie viewing-capabilities. Although really, I am not sure I need a 3-inch film screen encroaching on my train-based reading time.

Congrats to Megan on her job-ness and you on your internship. I didn't realize you degrees only took a year long, but that makes me want to look into that crazy school.

>,<; No clue what I'm going to do with my life. I like to say I know I'll know when I do it, but perhaps I should just change my mind to the first thing that I can keep in my head for more than 30 days.

 
At 9:19 PM, Blogger Aaron Burkhalter said...

I have similar brain-like tendancies. Megan observed that I'm never excited about what I'm doing in the moment, but what I could being doing potentially down the road. Once I get in it my interest wanes. I think that's why I went with journalism. It's changing so fast and I can hop around to many different things. So maybe it'll keep my interest... actually... it has done a pretty decent job. there's something nice about knowing that your next task is to write about a completely different topic.

As for the iPod video, the screen is bigger, which I suppose is nice but the video portion is not terribly exciting as of yet. I thought that having Strongbad cartoons in my pocket would be thrilling, but it's really not. I'm never away from my computer thinking, "shit! And me without a strongbad cartoon!" Beyond that I've found few things that I'd want to watch on my iPod. Well... few things that don't cost money.

I have heard the new Calexico and it leaves me all warm and fuzzy on the inside. I really like it quite a bit. It's a nice departure from their other music. I also have to thank you (and my little brother) for foisting feist on me (hee hee! Foist!) I've been enjoying it a lot!

 
At 10:50 PM, Blogger Courtney said...

Aaron, my Garden Ruin is the Japanese edition, and there are alternate versions of two tracks: Deep Down (Accoustic) and Nom de Plume (alternate). If you havent found them yourself, lemmie see if I cant find a way to send them to you.

 
At 5:38 AM, Blogger Brett said...

a cat is sitting at the top of my chair and he just sighed. i don't know why. it just occurred to me that i intend to call you guys. last week my mom was in le hospital for a few days and i wasn't able to call when i got megan's message. i shall do that tonight. what sensational news! it's a sensation!... i'm not sure what that means..

 
At 7:38 AM, Blogger Courtney said...

aaron or brett, are either of you acquainted with the skype program? because it would be totally rockin' if we could talk sometime, and there would be the freeness to give us our leisure :)

 
At 5:37 PM, Blogger Aaron Burkhalter said...

I'll do some skype scoping out in the near future. My days are packed, but that's changing in the not to distant future, so hopefully i'll have some time to seek it out....

Thanks for the note Brett! Megan was happpy to hear from you. sorry I wasn't around when you called!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home